Search Community

Simple movieclip scaling question, Please Help

vdubplate test
Moderator Tag

I was hoping someone can help me out. I need to scale a movieclip. Right now I'm only able to stretch a movieclip.

What I'm trying to do is have a movieclip that I want to have a mask inside of. When the movieclip scales it should mask and unmask whats inside of the movieclip.

Because I am stretching the movieclip, its stretching everything inside the movieclip which I don't want.

Here is a simple piece of code. Can someone tell me how to scale instead of stretch please

import com.greensock.*;

TweenLite.to(mc, 1, {scaleY:1.3});

Because I am stretching the movieclip, its stretching everything inside the movieclip which I don't want.

That is just how flash works. If you have object b inside of object a, anything you do to object a will effect object b.

if you rotate object a, its child object b gets rotated.

if you change the alpha of object a, its child object b will fade.

what you need to do is restructure your objects so that you have a mask, and a thing that is going to be masked.

you didn't mention if you were using layer masks, but I would suggest you use an actionscript mask (more flexible and reliable).

your code would look like:

theImage_mc.mask = theMask_mc;

TweenLite.to(theMask_mc, 1, {scaleY:1.3}));

also realize that theMask_mc and theImage_mc can both be in the same container so that you can move them or rotate them both at the same time.

The main point is, if you want the mask to scale independently of the thing that it is masking, they have to be independent objects and can't "live inside each other". make sense?

Hmm, I see what you mean. What I have is a 3 tab menu that opens as you click on the tab and will unmask and article in each tab. I'm having a problem getting that to work right.

I cant figure out how to be able to get to the scrollbars under the masks if that makes sense.