Search Community

Changing ease on the fly

omnider test
Moderator Tag

Hi, I'm having difficulties changing an ease of TweenMax on the fly. I have a Timeline (TimeLineMax) with three TweenMax instances in it. I need to change ease of the middle one when I reverse the timeline. I tried various things but nothing worked(like updateTo, which resets the tween so it's no use). Is there any easy way to do it? Any ideas would by highly appreciated.

cheers

interesting issue you have there.

I tried to test this scenario and came up with the following results:

If the tween you are updating is the last tween in the TimelineMax, then the ease gets changed and the tween plays backwards fine.

If the tween you are updating is NOT the last tween int the TimelineMax the tween does not appear to work as it seems that other starting and end values are ignored.

Here is my test code (CS4 Fla attached)

import com.greensock.*;
import com.greensock.easing.*;

var tl:TimelineMax = new TimelineMax({paused:true, repeat:1, yoyo:true, onRepeat:changeEase});

tl.append(TweenMax.to(mc, 1, {x:300}));
tl.append(TweenMax.to(mc, 1, {y:300, ease:Bounce.easeOut}));

//if the following tween is added. it appears the update will not work and the 2nd tween will not reverse
//no visible change in y value

//tl.append(TweenMax.to(mc, 1, {alpha:0}));

stage.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, test)

function test(e:Event):void{
tl.play();
}

function changeEase(){
//reference the second tween in the timeline	
  var myTween:TweenMax = tl.getChildren()[1]

myTween.updateTo({ease:Linear.easeNone});

}	

this timeline moves the mc to the right, then down, then fade out.

if the fade out (third tween) is removed I am able to remove the bouce on the 2nd tween (move down).

Perhaps this additional information will help someone else quickly diagnose or explain this behavior.

In the meantime I will see what I can come up with.

Carl

Hi Carl, thanks for the effort you put into trying this. The thing with updateTo is, it resets the tween, because it's designed to create a seamless transition when changing attributes "on the fly". Obviously this is not the route to go when trying to change attributes on reverse ... or any tween you instance and use more than once for that matter (if I understand the concept of updateTo correctly). I was kind of hoping to find a workaround, which I actually did in my case by creating new instances of the timeline each time I want to reverse ... but there is a lot of checks involved and generally this solution doesn't seem clean to me. So I am still quite curious if there is a way to do it nicely :)

...The thing with updateTo is, it resets the tween, because it's designed to create a seamless transition when changing attributes "on the fly". Obviously this is not the route to go when trying to change attributes on reverse...

Exactly. updateTo() is designed to do a seamless change on-the-fly during a tween (or before it begins). However, I just updated TweenMax's updateTo() method so that it will better accommodate finished tweens. That's not to say I'd recommend using it in this scenario - I'd probably build two separate timelines that run back-to-back. That way you could have distinct tweens instead of trying to keep swapping out the ease. Just an idea. According to my tests with the new updateTo(), it could work too.

• 2 years later...