Search Community

SctrollTrigger and ScrollSmoother use case - "no charge" licence

Kenan Hasanic test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

Hello,

I don't quite understand when are we free to use the scrolltrigger and scrollsmoother plugins.

I have seen that you guys offer different types of plans of joining the gsap club like SimplyGreen for starters and BusinessGreen at the top.

My questions are, concerning the before mentioned plugins:

1. Am I able to use them for free in my webpages that I sell to my customers (one-time payment from the client, only promotional websites for the business they are running with no payment afterwards from the client or users that visit the webpage), without paying for any tier of Club GreenSock?

2. If I am making a website that sells products (ex. website for selling t-shirts), do i then have to buy any tier of Club GreenSock

I understand that I need to pay for the BusinessGreen if I want microtransactions and exclusive content for the users in the website but does that also mean for selling products like this?

The main thing I'm trying to ask is does the "no charge" also cover the additional plugins like scrolltrigger, scrollsmoother, draggable etc. or do I need to be a member of the club for any use case of these plugins (whether that is commercial or otherwise)?

I hope I did not confuse anybody reading this and i hope you all have a great day.

• Solution
2 hours ago, Kenan Hasanic said:

1. Am I able to use them for free in my webpages that I sell to my customers (one-time payment from the client, only promotional websites for the business they are running with no payment afterwards from the client or users that visit the webpage), without paying for any tier of Club GreenSock?

Absolutely! That qualifies under the standard "no charge" license. 🥳 ScrollTrigger is in the public/free downloads, but ScrollSmoother is a membership benefit of Club GreenSock, so you'd need to get at least a "Shockingly Green" membership to access that particular plugin. 

2 hours ago, Kenan Hasanic said:

2. If I am making a website that sells products (ex. website for selling t-shirts), do i then have to buy any tier of Club GreenSock

I understand that I need to pay for the BusinessGreen if I want microtransactions and exclusive content for the users in the website but does that also mean for selling products like this?

If you answer "yes" to any of the following, you'd need the special commercial license that comes with "Business Green" Club GreenSock memberships: 

• Does your GSAP-enhanced website/game/product require the user to pay a fee to use? (like Netflix.com)
  • Are you selling a GSAP-enhanced product to multiple end users? (like a website template, theme or game)
  • Are you using GSAP in a game/app with optional paid features/upgrades?

If your website sells products that aren't GSAP-enhanced like clothing, widgets, food, etc., that does NOT require the commercial license. It only matters if the thing for which a fee is collected uses GSAP in some way. The standard "no charge" license even covers usage in projects where only a one-time development fee is charged, like an agency that's paid to build a fancy web site that's free for everyone to use.

We like to think that a Club GreenSock membership pays for itself very quickly when you consider all the time it’ll save, the added capabilities that the bonus plugins deliver...and of course that sense of having animation superpowers is priceless 🙂

Club GreenSock memberships support all the ongoing development here as well, so it can be a smart way for you to help ensure that the tools continue to get nurtured in the years ahead just like they have been for the past 15+ years.

Does that clear everything up? 

• Like 1