Search Community

onComplete and for loops

Nickbee test
Moderator Tag

When I use a for loop to tween a bunch of stuff and want to call a function on the complete of the least tween I’ve been using a conditional like so:

private function initTweenIcons():void
	{
		for (var i:int=0 ; i<_numIcons ; i++)
		{
			var temp:MovieClip = iconName[tweenOrder[i]];
			if (i != _numIcons-1)
			{
				TweenMax.to(temp, tweenSpeed, {x:finalIconX[tweenOrder[i]], y:finalIconY[tweenOrder[i]], scaleX:.8, scaleY:.8, alpha:1, delay:i*.1, motionBlur:true, ease:Cubic.easeInOut});
			}
			else
			{
				TweenMax.to(temp, tweenSpeed, {x:finalIconX[tweenOrder[i]], y:finalIconY[tweenOrder[i]], scaleX:.8, scaleY:.8, alpha:1, delay:i*.1, motionBlur:true, ease:Cubic.easeInOut, onComplete:addListeners});
			}
		}
	}

This works perfect but I’m wondering if there is an easier, more efficient way to do this. I know a timer could be used, aka delayedCall, but I figured this is more reliable just in case things don’t sync up perfectly.

Thanks!

Yeah, if you put all your icons in an array you can use TweenMax.allFrom or TweenMax.allTo like so:

var icons:Array = new Array(icon1, icon2, icon3);

TweenMax.allTo(icons, 1, {y:"50"}, 0, done);

function done(){
trace("done");
}

//0: delay / stagger between tweens running
//done: name of function to call when all tweens are complete

oh snap. I didn't think of that.

although by passing in the y property as a string "50", all icons will move 50pixels from where they are, so if you have a clever way of placing them initially 50 pixels away from where they are going too... ahhh probably won't get you away from the loop anyway. hmmm. (i'm just using 50 x pixels as an example).

Well since you have a loop already in place, you can append all your tweens into a TimelineLite/Max instance and then at least when the timeline is done you can fire an onComplete function.

as far as the amount of code needed it will probably be a touch more than your existing loop, but it may get you a few personal neatness points 8-)

Yep, exactly Carl. The code could probably be simplified to:

private function initTweenIcons():void {
var tl:TimelineLite = new TimelineLite({onComplete:addListeners});
for (var i:int=0 ; i		tl.insert( TweenMax.to(iconName[tweenOrder[i]], tweenSpeed, {x:finalIconX[tweenOrder[i]], y:finalIconY[tweenOrder[i]], scaleX:.8, scaleY:.8, alpha:1, delay:i*.1, motionBlur:true, ease:Cubic.easeInOut}) );
}
}

The other nice thing about that is you can control everything as a whole. You could reverse(), restart(), change the timeScale, etc. all by using the TimelineLite.