Search Community

Restart Timeline animation on push router back

Bronca test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Bronca,

Greetings, this is my first post in Greensock Forum.

I've read the fixed topic, but if I'm doing something wrong even though let me know, okay?

I've encountered a very tricky problem doing a Next.Js project with GSAP. I've created the Timeline and did all the animations I want. Everything works fine, but navigating between links make things harder, because when I push back one route (click back on the top of the browser) all animated elements of the page get their initial CSS setup. (In my case, visibility: hidden, so everything is gone!). In my mind the natural behavior of the page was keep the timeline final state, but this seems not occur.

I know that is not a GSAP problem, but I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to workaround this behavior of React / Next.js.

I tried restart the Timeline with UseEffect on router back, but no success.

27 minutes ago, OSUblake said:

Welcome to the forums!

Can you create a demo on CodeSandbox? Nothing complicated. Just something simple to show the issue?

https://codesandbox.io/

cocky-boyd-p6yk7 - CodeSandbox

Oh man, this is so frustrating, the demo on CodeSandBox works! I don't have idea what's happening with my main code, is exactly the same thing. :(

• Solution

@OSUblake I've found the culprit. Thank you for your support, i'm grateful.

Take a look (I don't know why, but in Next.Js the  window.onload before play animations common practice "locks" the timeline progress) :

Just calling the function instead seems fix everything.

image.png.88d2b0b87a5b105320ebd7bbbafef205.png

Just now, OSUblake said:

Gotcha, but that really doesn't apply to something that is dynamic like React. onload is probably going to fire before your React code even runs for the first time, so I would just ignore everything in that thread. 😉

Newbies do things like that! 🤪

I'll be attentiveness, thanks for all support bro! 

• Like 1