Search Community

Creating a repeated loop animation that doesn't directly reverse

SarahVDB test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by akapowl,

Hi! I'm rather new to GSAP, I'm trying to create a little loading animations with three circles. I want the dots to go up and down, but not at the same time, so I used stagger effect. As the circles ned to go up and down I also used yoyo, as well a repeater so the loading animations loops infinitely, however it doesn't seem quite what I thought it would be. 

Basically the circles go down from left to right, and then I want it to go back up from left to right. However when the circles go back up, it goes up from right to left instead, basically reversing the animation. But I don't want it completely reversed like that, I just want them to go back to their original position (animated) and repeat. Any idea how to change this?

This is the code I used: 

gsap.fromTo( "circle", 1.5, 
  { y: -30 },
  { y: 0, yoyo: true, repeat: -1, stagger: 0.3 }
);

I also put the it on Codepen, in order to see what I mean.

See the Pen NWRKmzO by SarahVDB (@SarahVDB) on CodePen

• Solution

Hey @SarahVDB - welcome to the forums.

You could use a timeline for that - with one staggered tween that moves the circles down, and another one moving them back up again - and the timeline itself repeating infinitely. Note, that I set the initial position of the circles in your CSS via transform in the demo below.

Is this what you had in mind:

See the Pen 3f638dde7e8d8e677cb2dfea5dc0a8f7 by akapowl (@akapowl) on CodePen

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, akapowl said:

Hey @SarahVDB - welcome to the forums.

You could use a timeline for that - with one staggered tween that moves the circles down, and another one moving them back up again - and the timeline itself repeating infinitely. Note, that I set the initial position of the circles in your CSS via transform in the demo below.

Is this what you had in mind:

Yes this is what I had in mind! Haven't used timeline before so didn't think of that, thank you for your help! 😊

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PointC said:

Hi @SarahVDB :)

Welcome to the forum.

Nothing wrong with the timeline - just another approach here. You could put the repeat in the stagger object and then adjust the 'each' amount to your liking. My two cents only. YMMV.

Happy tweening.

:)

Ah this looks great as well! I'm not familiar with all the GSAP terms yet, so always open for another approach to learn from. Thank you! 😊

• Like 2