Search Community

GSAP 3.0 problem with flex-direction: column

Jun Xiang test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by ZachSaucier,

I made a simple animation which is by translating the Y axis from 1em to -50%. However, there was some weird calculations that happened on the #issue element. I purposely set the duration to 5seconds so that it will be more obvious.

I also faced the same problem stated above but I couldn't recreate the problem i was facing. It was a project that I was working on using react hooks. It might be browser problem as when i tested my project in Firefox, the problem is the same as the problem in the codepen and when tested in Edge and Chrome it works perfectly fine. I originally planned to report this in Bugzilla but then when i was preparing the codepen, the problem happened in both Firefox and Edge. The HTML layout, CSS and JS is exactly the same in my project and in codepen but i got different results which is weird. They are both affected by the CSS property: flex-direction. If you comment it out, it works as expected.

PS: The problem I stated might sound confusing... sorry for that if it is. I am very new to GSAP too...

Edit: It seems like the preview here is working fine but when I go to the link it is not...

Edit2: As I am not allowed to upload more than 500kB file, I will share a clip of the problem in this google drive link

See the Pen MWeMmqV by jun-xiang (@jun-xiang) on CodePen

• Solution

Hey Jun and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

You're making a couple of the most common GSAP mistakes

1. Not setting all of your transforms on elements that you're animating with GSAP and
  2. (more minorly) using the old syntax for your eases.

See if this works better:

See the Pen JjKQMWN?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

It's also possible that browsers are simply reporting the incorrect values. But at this point it doesn't seem like a GSAP issue to me.

14 hours ago, ZachSaucier said:

Hey Jun and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

You're making a couple of the most common GSAP mistakes

1. Not setting all of your transforms on elements that you're animating with GSAP and
  2. (more minorly) using the old syntax for your eases.

See if this works better:

It's also possible that browsers are simply reporting the incorrect values. But at this point it doesn't seem like a GSAP issue to me.

Thanks! It really works! I was finding a solution for the whole day. Thank you so much!! Tutorials I watched did not teach me this way tho. I also did not notice that there is a mistakes page for GSAP. Definitely going to read through.