Search Community

Issue using .from() tweens on a page with React Transition Group

mrbjjackson test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by mrbjjackson,

Hi there,

Firstly let me say that I'm so impressed with GSAP and the documentation and forums! An amazing resource.

I wonder if you could help me understand a problem I'm having.

I have a React project (it's a Gatsby site) that is using the plugin "Gatsby Transition Link" for page transitions. I believe this plugin uses React Transition Group to get the page transitions done.

Anyway, the page transitions are working fine. I'm not using GSAP for them - just CSS animations triggered from the "--entering" and "--exiting" classes that are added to the incoming and outgoing pages.

My problem comes when I want to add a separate GSAP animation to the page content. I've got this working with one page perfectly. I have a nice animated timeline running on it.

However when I add GSAP timeline to another page, it breaks my CSS entering and exiting transitions. After a lot of bug-fixing I've narrowed it down to the second page using "tl.from()" tweens whereas the other page only uses "tl.to()" tweens. I presume that this something to do with the way "from()" works, perhaps the way it renders the page. But I don't know how to fix it.

So my question is: can you help me understand what might be going on when I call "from()" that might be break my css page transitions. Can you point me in the direction of a solution to this problem?

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated. Thanks very much.

Ben

• Solution

As often happens, posting my support request has caused me to think about my problem a little deeper and I think I've found a solution.

For anyone else who reads this:

In the from() documentation there is a parameter called immediateRender.

If I set that to false, my page transition works fine.

Thanks, B

• Like 3