Search Community

ScrollTrigger animate same element with 2 different timeline makes element lag

Christopher Reeve test
Moderator Tag

Hello, first of all thankyou for this amazing library. 

i've just found gsap and try to learning it this past few weeks

right now i'm working on a scroll based animation website which animate so many element based only when the user scroll.

and now i've found a problem and confused how to fix it.

the problem is occured when i try to scroll the box between end of animation 1 end start of animation 2 so fast, the box will suddenly blinking to the end of animation 1 

what i want to achieve is the box should move to start of animation 2 end smoothly going to animation 1

this only happen when i try to animate same var (ex : animate Y in two differents animation)

is there any way to fix this? or did i do it wrong? please tell me 

See the Pen jOqZWwP by zynth17 (@zynth17) on CodePen

Hey Christopher and welcome to the GreenSock forums. 

Here's what's happening: 

1. Your animate_box_1.fromTo tween immediately sets the xPercent of the box to 0 and readies the animation to go to an xPercent of 500.
  2. Your animate_box_2.from tween immediately sets the xPercent of the box to 500 (see the issue?) and plays an animation animating the scroll position to 0.
  3. Your animate_box_2.to tween readies the animation to go to an xPercent of 700.

I'd just use two .fromTo tweens with immediateRender: false on the second one so that it doesn't immediate set the xPercent:

See the Pen yLOvXgG?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

I'm not seeing any blinking (I.e. element disappearing for a second) when testing on any browser or OS. I do see some jumping (I.e. a sudden change of position) if I scroll fast. But this is to be expected because your scrub of 0.5 means it will take half a second to get to the end value but the other tween overrides that animation. If you don't want that to happen you can either set scrub to true or use a timeline with one ScrollTrigger instead of two tweens with their own ScrollTriggers. Does that make sense?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZachSaucier said:

I'm not seeing any blinking (I.e. element disappearing for a second) when testing on any browser or OS. I do see some jumping (I.e. a sudden change of position) if I scroll fast. But this is to be expected because your scrub of 0.5 means it will take half a second to get to the end value but the other tween overrides that animation. If you don't want that to happen you can either set scrub to true or use a timeline with one ScrollTrigger instead of two tweens with their own ScrollTriggers. Does that make sense?

thats what i meant! i just can't find the right word for it

Thankyou for the help zac!