GreenSock

Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Holo_Back

Image Parallax Effect (Translation) with Scrolltrigger

Hi everyone,

I would like to achieve the following image parallax effect (vertical translation) with Scrolltrigger and without Smooth Scroll.

https://tympanus.net/Tutorials/SmoothScrollAnimations/

I tried the parallax demos in the docs, but they work differently then this example.

Which way is the best to get this effect?

Thanks

Martin

• Like 1

yes that's a nice effect.

If you look at that page and turn on the developer tools then it looks like the pics are divs with background images and position absolute with a translate transformation. 

Yes exactly, that's what I did too. The translation effect is easy to create with GSAP, but what I didn't get done yet, is to get the correct y-value for each image with Scrolltrigger. Does anyone have a working example to show?

Yes, but I want to use Greensocks Scrolltrigger instead, that's why I asked for a solution with Scrolltrigger.

Yes of course you do, i was only trying to be helpful as a better understanding of the original effect provides A deeper insight into how it might be achieved in greensock.

Ok thanks, no problem 😃 I will try further - if anyone could provide an example with Scrolltrigger, it would be great!

There are several parallax demos listed in the ScrollTrigger docs that can get you started - particularly the parallax section demo.

For this effect specifically, create a container for the image with overflow: hidden, make sure the image is slightly larger than the container, then translate the image by the amount of difference between the height (or some lesser amount if you wish). Attach a ScrollTrigger with the default start and end values and apply scrub: true to it and job done :) 

• Like 2

Hi Zach,

thanks for your fast response! I created a demo on codepen, it basically works, but on specific screen sizes you can see the background color of the container behind the parallax container: 

See the Pen ExKWVdq by holo_back (@holo_back) on CodePen

That just means that your calculations are off for what you want/need. It looks like you're not using the difference between the container's height and the image height like I recommended that you use. Here's what I'd do:

gsap.utils.toArray(".section-parallax .parallax-content").forEach((section, i) => {
  const heightDiff = section.offsetHeight - section.parentElement.offsetHeight;

gsap.fromTo(section,{ 
    y: -heightDiff
  }, {
    scrollTrigger: {
      trigger: section,
      scrub: true
    },
    y: 0,
    ease: "none"
  });
});

• Like 1

You're right! I got your message wrong and therefore my calculation was incorrect.

Thanks a lot! Below the working example for all future visitors :)

See the Pen ExKWVdq by holo_back (@holo_back) on CodePen