Search Community

Control scrolling speed

Andres Moraga test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi! I'm using the ScrollTo plugin to create an autoscroll for a text which I need to show on different scenarios. In this case depending on the scenario the width of the container will be different making the height of the whole text to vary between each scenario. I tried using scrollTo: { y: 'max' } to always go to the very bottom, and set the animation duration to 165. While checking I noticed that the speed of the scroll is different on each scenario and I need them to scroll at the same speed. So, I was wondering if there is a way in which I could control the scroll speed to show them all scrolling consistently at the same speed.

Hey Andres and welcome!

As mikel said, using an equation to set the speed based on the distance is a good idea. On the GreenSock website we use this same approach but also set a maximum duration to make sure that long animations aren't too long:

var dur = Math.max(0.25, distance / speed);

• Like 3