Search Community

It is possible to dispose() slowly?

lwmirkk test
Moderator Tag

Hi! :-D

I have two videos on the timeline:

After some seconds of the playing of the second video, it calls dispose() of the first one.

But the dispose free the memory from the first one so fast that the play of the second video gives a small "bottleneck" in playback at the time of the dispose().

A "bottleneck" of half a second, but ideally it would not "bottleneck" anything and the playback would be 100% fluid. 

Is there a way of the dispose() free the memory more slowly?

Thanks a lot.

Sorry, @lwmirkk, I don't entirely understand the question and I can't think of any way that dispose() could be forced to free memory more slowly (that seems quite undesirable actually). Also, for the record, the AS3 tools haven't been actively supported for years but you're totally welcome to use them. Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi lwmirkk,

Having trouble understanding your reply, but just to be clear, mostly all of our AS3 tools have been converted to JavaScript for HTMl5 projects and are being used on over 3 million sites. So if you need to do scripted animation in JavaScript, you can use all your GreenSock knowledge and get amazing results.

If you are asking about another tool that someone else makes for scripted animation for AS3, no, I don't think anyone is investing time or money in that, but I haven't paid attention to the AS3 world for many years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 3/19/2018 at 12:54 AM, GreenSock said:

Sorry, @lwmirkk, I don't entirely understand the question and I can't think of any way that dispose() could be forced to free memory more slowly (that seems quite undesirable actually). Also, for the record, the AS3 tools haven't been actively supported for years but you're totally welcome to use them. Cheers!

Hi again @Carl and @GreenSock?

I'm thinking about this question, and this may work:?

var myLoader = Loader();.... //example, but would be any Greensock loader - Loading a huge 4k video

//today
myLoader.dispose(true); //framerate drops for some frames because the content is huge.

//this would do the dispose "slowly"?
myLoader.unload();
setTimeout(function(){
  myLoader.dispose();//"true" - probably it is not necessary
},5000);

Thanks again and sorry for the old thread.