Search Community

Smooth animation on repeat

thomas159 test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi, I'm having trouble getting the animation to repeat  smoothly without it briefly pausing before the loop.

I also need the colours to continually fade into each other as it loops so the last colour should fade into the first colour when the loop repeats but I'm not sure how to achieve this

See the Pen mMKpqP by thomas159 (@thomas159) on CodePen

Hey @PointC thanks for the reply,

I did try this,  I guess somewhere my delay is causing the issue as yours seems to be seemless, I will give this another go adjusting the delay

var tl = new TimelineMax({ repeat: -1 })

tl.to(this.box, 0.5, { css: { backgroundColor:"#F19939" } }, )
      .to(this.box2, 0.5, { css: { backgroundColor:"#F19939" } }, "-=0.5")
      .to(this.box3, 0.5, { css: { backgroundColor: "#F19939" } }, "-=0.5")
      .to(this.box, 1, { css: { backgroundColor: "#FF00ff" } })
      .to(this.box2, 1, { css: { backgroundColor: "#FF00ff" } }, "-=1")
      .to(this.box3, 1, { css: { backgroundColor:"#Ff00ff" } }, "-=1")
      .to(this.box, 1, { css: { backgroundColor:"#Fff" } }, )
      .to(this.box2, 1, { css: { backgroundColor:"#FFf" } }, "-=1")
      .to(this.box3, 1, { css: { backgroundColor:"#Fff" } }, "-=1")
      .to(this.box, 0.5, { css: { backgroundColor:"#F19939" } }, )
      .to(this.box2, 0.5, { css: { backgroundColor:"#F19939" } }, "-=0.5")
      .to(this.box3, 0.5, { css: { backgroundColor: "#F19939" } }, "-=0.5")

You don't need all those position parameter offsets. If you look at the JS of my fork, you'll see that you can simply target all three boxes in one tween. You also don't need the CSS wrapper. Not that you can't use it, but it saves some typing if you don't.

Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 3

thanks for the tips, I've created a new pen but I'm having an issue with box2 and box3, the first box is seemless, but the other 2 boxes are jumpy when tweening between them.

Also as I'm doing this in react and targeting the element via a ref rather than via the css

<div className={styles.box} ref={con => {this.box = con; }}/>

I am getting the same problem as in my first pen where the animation fades out the back in as it repeats, which doesn't seem to happen when using css class in my second pen example

See the Pen PKBwbP by thomas159 (@thomas159) on CodePen

Hi thomas159,

I do not know what you want to achieve with this positioning of the tweens, but the second Tween starts before the first has finished:

.to("#box3", 0.5, { backgroundColor: "#ff0000" }, '-=0.5')  // time 0.5 !
  .to("#box3", 1, { backgroundColor: "#f19939" }, '-=1')  //  start time -1 = tween before didn´t finish

Please have a look to this explanation of CARL (related Topic):

When the second tween starts, 0.4 seconds BEFORE the previous tween ends the engine is in a situation where 2 tweens are trying to change the borderWidth at the same time. Instead of wasting CPU by having 2 tweens fighting for control the engine allows the second tween to overwrite the part of the first tween that animates borderWidth. When you reverse or play the timeline again... the borderWidth part of the first tween is killed by the overwrite.

Does that help?

Best regards

Mikel

• Like 1

my understanding was that the tweens are all fired sequencially so here it will fire the first tween then if there was no delay the 2nd tween and then the 3rd all 0.5 seconds apart, what I have done is add the delay to the 2nd and 3rd tween to fire them all at the same time

.to("#box", 0.5, { backgroundColor: "#f19939" })
  .to("#box2", 0.5, { backgroundColor: "#ff00ff" }, '-=0.5')
  .to("#box3", 0.5, { backgroundColor: "#ff0000" }, '-=0.5')

Once 0.5 seconds has elapsed it should then fire off the second round of tweens that last for a second and again a second delay on the 2nd and 3rd box so these fire at the same time

.to("#box", 1, { backgroundColor: "#ff00ff" })
  .to("#box2", 1, { backgroundColor: "#ff0000" }, '-=1')
  .to("#box3", 1, { backgroundColor: "#f19939" }, '-=1')

you've suggested that it will look at the tweens for each element and sequentially run these ?

.to("#box3", 0.5, { backgroundColor: "#ff0000" }, '-=0.5')  // time 0.5 !
  .to("#box3", 1, { backgroundColor: "#f19939" }, '-=1')  //  start time -1 = tween before didn´t finish

What i'm trying to achieve is basically having box,box2,box3 all fire at the same time and then again all firing at the same time and then again all firing at the same time, but there's seems to be some slight discrepancy with the delay which I just can't get my head around which is causing box2 and box3 to jerk when repeating the animation

HI @PointC

Yes that's correct I'm trying to cycle like a loader, I thought once I was able to get past the initial problem with the repeating loop I would be able to animate them in this way but it proved trickier than I thought.

I've switched to using ccs animations as I'm finding it too difficult to get gsap and react to work together well enough ( the codepen example transitions smoothly when looped, but when I use the same code in react I still don't get a smooth transition, it fades out briefly and then back in)