Search Community

Using GSAP and clip-path (CSS or SVG) for a reveal effect

jphilung test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I am working on a reveal effect to show a frame over another one using clip-path either an inline SVG with <clipPath> or with a CSS shape and basically animating the reveal.

On the Codepen:

* Left side uses SVG clipPath

* Right side uses CSS shape

Basically, on Desktop Chrome v56, I have great performance and it works as it should for both strategies.

On Desktop Firefox, I can only get it to work with SVG clipPath. However, on the first rendering, the animation is jerky. On subsequent renderings, it is smooth.

On Desktop Safari, I can only get it to work with a CSS shape. Safari can't seem to be able to animate the attributes of the SVG shape inside the <clipPath> component. If I resize the window, the final SVG clipPath is rendered, so it seems that Safari cannot render the graphics without being resized.

For IE / Edge, I haven't tested, but I likely won't be able to support those browsers.

Trying to see if others had suggestions on how to improve the performance of this reveal effect on Firefox and/or Safari.

See the Pen NpRJmw by jphilung (@jphilung) on CodePen

Hi jphilung  :)

Welcome to the GreenSock forum.

My recommendation would be to use a mask instead of a clip-path. I've run into the inconsistencies you're seeing plenty of times. I made this demo to show the differences in the various browsers.

See the Pen MewvjM by PointC (@PointC) on CodePen

I think you'll find that a mask will cause you less headaches in the long run. Here's my pen of the world's simplest SVG mask.

See the Pen KzmXYK by PointC (@PointC) on CodePen

And here's a reveal much like what you're trying to accomplish.

See the Pen ENRprd by PointC (@PointC) on CodePen

Bottom line - my vote is for a mask. Others may offer differing thoughts or suggestions. Hopefully that helps.

Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 6