Search Community

skewY issue with scaling

jimmy j test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello,

I'm trying to animate the skewY value with: 

TweenMax.to(d1,1,{skewY:45,skewType:"simple",transformOrigin:"0% 0%"})

But the object would get stretched.(scaleY also changed unexpectedly)

The reason why I set skewType to "simple" is that I would also like to animate the scale value of the object. The default skew type "compensated" will reset object's scale value when animating skewY... 

See the Pen NrrBaK?editors=0010 by lzy100p (@lzy100p) on CodePen

Hello Jonathan,

I'm sorry that I didn't make my question clear.

I would like to tween the "skewY" value along with "scaleX". But I couldn't figure out a way to tween both of these simultaneously.

As you could see from the URL that I posted, the object got stretched when I tween the "skewY" value.

Thanks again for your help.

You can use the GSAP position parameter to play different tweens at the same time.

http://greensock.com/position-parameter

.to( target, duration, vars, position )

x
Giving them both the same label or the same position parameter like 0.

Also i noticed your using both the skewX property and also transform property. If it was me i would just use skewX: 45 instead of transform as a string with transform: "skewX(45deg)"

:)

• Like 1

Thanks for pointing out the way how to tween different properties at the same time. 

I have no problem to tween other properties at all. I only have issues with "skewY". 

With this line of code: 

TweenMax.to(d1,1,{skewY:45,skewType:"simple",transformOrigin:"0% 0%"})

Not only the object's skewY property got tweened, but also the "scaleY" has changed unexpectedly. I don't know why it behaves in this way...

Another question that I have is shown below:

TweenMax.to(d2, 0, {
  scaleX:2,scaleY:2,rotation:30
}) 

TweenMax.to(d2, 1, {
  transform: "skewY(45deg)",
  transformOrigin: "0% 0%"
}) 

I first scaled and rotated the object, but when I tween the "skewY", the object's scale and rotation values has been automatically set back to 0...

Thanks!

When you say the object's scale and rotation values has been automatically set back to 0...

Do you mean for the second tween that you are using transform: "skewY(45deg)" on ?

If so try using the skewY property in your first tween,  instead of transform: "skewY(45deg)" in your second tween.

By using transform: "skewY(45deg)" on that element you are overriding scale since you are using the transform property with only skewY() and no scale(), instead of using the skewY property in your first tween.

:)

Hello Jonathan,

Thanks so much for your answer!

Here I have another question about tweening the skew value.

I have modified the codePen demo a bit. 

The third red square animation is what I want to achieve, but I would like to achieve it by tweening "skewY" property instead of using "transform".

5773bd1c5b.png