Search Community

Getting React Gsap Enhancer working with webpack?

motebotic test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Love this tool and was wondering if anyone with some webpack experience can help me get it working with react. (I use webpack, babel, nodejs).

So to get it working I have had to import {TimelineMax} from 'gsap' at the application entry point (app.js) and then it works in any component without importing it. If I import gsap in just a component I get a document is not defined error. My guess is if I can work out how to load gsap in webpack this will fix the problem (react-gsap-enhancer works without problems as long as I include gsap on entry point). 

Can anyone give me guidance if I am on the right path and maybe how I load this file in webpack and/or if doing what I am doing right now to make it work is a bad idea (:

If you're getting a document is not defined error, it sounds like you are loading GSAP in a node environment. I looked at the demo folder and saw GSAP being loaded in a regular script tag, but I don't know if that is just for demo purposes. This isn't a GreenSock product, so you're best bet is to go ask over on there.

https://github.com/azazdeaz/react-gsap-enhancer

• Like 1

Thanks Blake,

My problem is with setting up gsap in webpack in a node environment, without using hackery I don't think I should be doing. gsap react enhancer needs gsap to work. I have read a few posts on this, and my newbieness handicaps my understanding & attempts at making them work. I was hoping something could be done in webpack that just makes it so I can import TimelineMax for example in the component that's using it.

So to be clear:

- I have it working by importing gsap into the entry page where webpack does its magic. 

- I don't know why it works or should that even be done.

- I am hoping someone can answer how or if I even can set this up in webpack as a loader or something and the best way to do it. 

React GSAP Enhancer works perfectly by the way for any other react developers out there (:

GSAP is not currently setup to be used in modules like that. Everything is global, so you only need to include the following line of code once.

import "gsap";

Doing the following does not assign TimelineMax to the import, and you're effectively running the same line of code above.

import {TimelineMax} from "gsap";

Once you import "gsap", you can use TimelineMax as you normally would without using another import. That said, I do not know how the react-gsap-enchancer actually works with GSAP. 

There is a gitter room setup for the react-gsap-enhancer, so you might get a quicker response asking your question(s) over there.

https://gitter.im/azazdeaz/react-gsap-enhancer

• Like 2