Search Community

Delay when using Tweenlite.to?

rotaercz test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by jamiejefferson,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I have a pretty simple bit of code:

TweenLite.to($(menuID), 1.5, { left: 100, onComplete: function(){
    alert('helloworld');
}});

There seems to be a delay before it moves to position 100 or perhaps I'm providing a value incorrectly? Is the second argument 1.5 the delay before it moves because it seems to be the delay based on values I've tried? If so, where do I set the duration of the tween?

EDIT: Also the onComplete callback seems to happen based on the 1.5 value? I'd like the callback to happen after the tweening is done but I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong.

Sorry, I'm not familiar. What's svg or canvas?

EDIT: That's interesting. I thought TweenLite wouldn't have a problem since there's no delay when moving the div holding hundreds of divs within it when using CSS transitions. That's why I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

It's super difficult to provide accurate advice without some sort of example or codepen demo that we can look at. Can you whip together a simple codepen that shows the css transitions working well and TweenLite not? And you are using the latest version of TweenLite, right? 

I can't imagine a scenario where TweenLite would perform significantly worse than CSS transitions, so I wonder if you're doing something odd in your implementation (hence the demo request). If you haven't watched this, it discusses CSS animations and performance: http://greensock.com/css-performance/

Also keep in mind that the initial delay you're seeing may just be the page finishing loading/parsing. 

Oh, and I don't think SVG would perform any better, but canvas very well may, especially if you tap into WebGL (look into PixiJS for that - it works great with GSAP). Typically the biggest bottleneck BY FAR in these scenarios has to do with graphics rendering, not JS execution. 

I figured it out!

It's because the css had:

-webkit-transition: left 0.3s ease-out;
transition: left 0.3s ease-out;

In this scenario I got an odd side effect where the 1.5 duration in my code would become a delay for some reason. Maybe I found a bug? I think TweenLite should not be influenced in any way from the css transition code.

TweenLite.to($(menuID), 1.5, { left: 100, onComplete: function(){
    alert('helloworld');
}});

That said, how do you destroy TweenLite.to(); after it's done?

• Solution

It's not a bug; GSAP can't just 'ignore' a CSS rule. Every frame of the animation GSAP updates the style for left, and then you have CSS telling the browser to apply that change over 0.3s. Removing the transition is the correct fix for this.

If you have not saved your own reference to the tween e.g.

var mytween = TweenLite.to(foo, 1, { bar: 0 });
then it will be automatically released for garbage collection at an appropriate time. If you have kept your own reference, you can kill it with mytween.kill();
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

Had the same weird behavior when animating scrollTo property. The duration param looked like the delay before scrolling to the correct section. If anyone stumbles upon this thread looking to resolve similar behavior with ScrollTo plugin, check your CSS for "scroll-behaviour" property. In my case I had "scroll-behaviour:smooth;" that ruined my tween animations.

• Like 3