Search Community

Memory leak issue and tween _next

autoric test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi Greensock!

I'm experiencing a memory leak in my application of DOM nodes and timelines. When I inspect the detached dom the shortest retaining path appears to be via a series of _next properties on other tweens and timelines.

post-19088-0-17605400-1404228632_thumb.jpg

Ultimately, I have a reference to some timeline or tween that I am maintaining correctly - it should still be available and in memory. And then, via a chain of _next / _prev properties, I seem to have references to timelines or tweens that I am done with but are still hanging around. And these are maintaining references to their target dom nodes. 

It's possible I am misreading the profiler, or there is something going on. But I would appreciate any advice on what I should look at or do differently to manage my tweens correctly.

Thanks!

Any chance you could create a reduced test case in codepen (or something) and post it here? Are you saying those references stay intact even after 10-20 seconds? There's a gc routine that runs every 120 ticks, clearing things for the browser's gc (which is somewhat unpredictable). 

I will try to reproduce with a codepen. There is interaction between angular and greensock that could be complicating the issue. 

In short I am creating a timeline when I link a directive, and .kill()'ing that timeline when the directive scope is destroyed (and I can confirm that this is happening). However I end up seeing references to the .kill'ed timeline via the next chain, which I understand to mean that it is still referenced on the global root timeline. 

Even waiting a minute or more, I continue to see the timelines referenced via the _next chain.

Does this help?: http://forums.greensock.com/topic/9002-read-this-first-how-to-create-a-codepen-demo/

I'm having a tough time imagining how references would be maintained like that unless you've got something referenced in your own stuff. I'm not saying it's not a bug in GSAP - I'm just struggling to know how to track it down if I can't even see it reproduced somehow. :( We've had some gc experts analyze GSAP in the past and give us "thumbs up", but that doesn't mean some glitch/bug hasn't crept in since then. I'm eager to squash any bugs, that's for sure - I just need your help reproducing it in a reduced test case. 

So, it looks like timelines, including the root timeline, maintain a linked list of their child tweens and timelines. 

Referencing the code here: https://github.com/greensock/GreenSock-JS/blob/master/src/uncompressed/TweenLite.js#L758

When a tween is removed via completion or .kill, it takes its _next and _prev references and points them at one another. It does not then null its own _next and _prev references. This is technically valid, since it should be dereferenced and eligible for gc. However, if I write some bad code that keeps that tween alive in closure, I now have a reference path to its old next and prev tweens - which are probably also dead, and whose next / prev tweens point to other dead tweens. Etc, etc, etc.

Conclusion: The memory leak is caused by my bad code, but is made worse because removed tweens do not null their _next and _prev pointers, creating a large network of references that get kept alive by my leak. Unless there is a specific reason to keep the _next & _prev pointers of removed tweens alive it probably makes sense to null them in order to mitigate the impact of leaks.

Thanks for the detailed feedback and recommended solution. It was originally a performance optimization (we shouldn't have to specifically set _next and _prev to null), but I see how it could make someone's faulty code worse, and it's not like setting those properties to null imposes a huge performance bottleneck or anything, so I plan to implement that change in the next drop. Thanks again for the explanation. 

• Like 1