Search Community

ios 7, using tweenMax very slow in an iframe

akinori test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Sorry but I'm about to sleep, but thought I'd reply anyway -

There is no 'activation' for iframes on iPad. Safari works however it wants to work (well, pretty much). You're combining iframes (sloooooow) and an iPad (SLOOOOOOWWW). The fact that you're seeing performance problems with this setup doesn't surprise me even a little bit. To be clear - I think this is due to the capabilities of an iPad and its Safari software; NOT something that GSAP is doing 'slowly'.

I know that's not at answer, but I'll be able to take a better look when I'm awake (and perhaps the other geniuses are already awake...). There's a good chance that whatever you're animating could be optimised for iPad, and hopefully we can figure that out for you soon.

If you haven't tried already, we're really partial to examples we can modify and play with on the fly. If you haven't already attempted it, a Codepen demo could help us a bunch.

• Like 4

Hello akinori,

Have you tried to maybe use AJAX to insert the content from your HTML page, instead of using an iframe?

This way the html markup will be within the same page , and you wont need to worry about interacting with iframe content.

When i did some research .. it looks like IOS 7 is real buggy with iframes and with iframe scrolling.

Alot of people reporting iframe issues with IOS 7 that they were not dealing with in IOS 6.

Here is a video and article by GreenSock that goes over issues in IOS 7:

iOS 7 Safari Performance: A Step Backward?

Also another link on iframe issues on IPAD:

http://dev.magnolia-cms.com/blog/2012/05/strategies-for-the-iframe-on-the-ipad-problem/

I hope any of the above helps

• Like 1

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your advice.

Unfortunately my content is loaded on the website of my client in an iframe and I can't use any other solution. It was only after lots of tests that I discover that it was the iframe that was slowing down my animation.

I think I'll try to code all my transformations in js instead of css, it looks that it is faster.