Search Community

Canvas/EaselJS vs. CSS3

soupking test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi everybody,

First off I want to say thanks to Jack for making such an awesome platform. I don't usually program HTML docs, but when I do I choose GreenSock.

I'm actually more into Cinema 4D and that sort of troubleshooting but I need to build my portfolio and I'm using a video background and don't want to deal with loading stuff through Flash. So I'm going through the motions of learning how to build a set of thumbnails in a JS environment. 

I have this conundrum where I have thumbnail rollovers using CSS3 alpha hover styles with two images that look great but I want to do a staggered cascading reveal of my thumbnails like I used to do in Flash. So I'm using HTML Canvas and EaseJS to animate them in. However, I'm stuck with the issue of having two sets of code where one does interaction and the other does the animating. I've run into the duality before but I'm really out of water here.

If somebody could tell me what the best overall code approach would be to use a cascading/staggered thumbnail reveal and double image rollover would be for a portfolio thumbnail set I'd really be grateful.

I can gravitate to anything that's out there but I'm having a hard time making CSS work in an x,y canvas environment that feels more like a vector object.

How would you guys go about this?

Thanks for any suggestions as I'm really a software guy these days.