Search Community

Adding multiple TweenMax to timeline in loop - Browser Performance Issue? Hi Carl!!

BCI test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I'm having some performance challenges. Very new to Greensock and animation in general, so I'm not sure where my problem is coming from. 1 animated spritesheet at a time works very well, it's just when I try and put 3 in the same loop that it gets very sluggish.

Can anyone help point me in a better direction? Maybe the way I'm attempting to build my timeline can be optimized? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Fiddle: http://jsfiddle.net/nicktest2222/sV5Ug/67/

Full screen: http://jsfiddle.net/nicktest2222/sV5Ug/67/embedded/result/

The problem is simply that you're adding each tween sequentially like:

exercise1---------exercise2
---------car1-------------car2
-------------home1-------------home2

Instead of what I think you meant:

exercise1-exercise2
car1------car2
home1-----home2

Remember, when you add() a tween, it puts it at the end of the timeline by default, unless you specify a time/label/position parameter. So each time you added a tween, it was making the timeline longer, and the subsequent tween would get added after the previous one. 

You have several options to fix this:

1) Just pass an array of the 3 tweens into the add() method. That will add all 3 at the same time (same starting position):

timeline.add( [tween1, tween2, tween3] );

2) Create a label each time you add() a tween and use the same label for the ones you want to add at the same spot. Remember, if you specify a label that doesn't exist yet, it'll automatically get added to the END of the timeline at that point:

timeline.add(tween1, "group1").add(tween2, "group1").add(tween3, "group1")

Also, you could make your code a little bit shorter by using the convenience "fromTo()" method:

//LONG
timeline.add( TweenMax.fromTo(...), "myLabel");
//SHORTER
timeline.fromTo(..., "myLabel")
  • Like 3

Nope, I'm not really sure. Never heard of that before. But I have heard that one of the down sides to using sprite sheets is that they use up a lot of memory and can be tough for mobile devices to manage if you throw too much at them. I have no idea if that has anything to do with the problem you're describing.

I wish I had time to dig into your particular file and research what's happening, but unfortunately I'm swamped and it's beyond the scope of stuff we typically help with here. 

Let us know if you discover what's going on or how to fix it. I'm pretty confident it has nothing to do with GSAP.