Search Community

TweenLite.killDelayedCallsTo works unexpected for multiple instances of the same prototype

reinierf test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

When calling TweenLite.killDelayedCallsTo on a method of an object, all objects with the same prototype will have there delayed calls to that method killed.

Cause:

When no scope is bound to the method, the method is really the same function object shared by all instances of the prototype. So they will all be killed by 1 call.

Solution:

Bind your callbacks using .bind(this) or use a closure and place the bound function/closure in a variable.

Then, later you can call TweenLite.killDelayedCallsTo on the bound callback.

A second argument in TweenLite.killDelayedCallsTo for specifying scope would also be nice, just like with the onCompleteScope etc in TweenLite.to/.from.

That would save us a lot of binding and storing functions, and would be in line with the other static TweenLite methods.

Interesting dilemma. I'll chew on that. In the mean time, I suspect you could accomplish it like this:

function killCallsTo(func, scope) {
    var calls = TweenLite.getTweensOf(func);
    for (var i = 0; i < calls.length; i++) {
        if (calls[i].vars.onCompleteScope === scope || calls[i].vars.callbackScope === scope) {
            calls[i].kill();
        }
    }
}

Does that work for you? 

• 2 years later...

Is there something on your roadmap to implement a scope-argument (optional) to the killDelayedCallsTo? Finally it was easy to fix some "strange" behaviors in my game, after realizing the problem with the scope. But until that, it took me some time :)

BTW: The above example works great, but you need to use callbackScope instead of onCompleteScope.

Good feedback - I updated the demo code above to include callbackScope as well. 

No plans to add this to the core toolset at this point (mostly due to wanting to protect file size and it not being a very common request at all and the fact that it's relatively easy to work around with the code above), but if we do get more requests for it we'll certainly reconsider. Thanks again for the feedback.