Search Community

draggable concepts

grimey test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi--

I have a very vertical map (2300px tall) and want to drag that within a window that fits the browser window 100%, so it scales when the window scales.

To add another level of complexity, I need to add other divs that scroll with the map -- map labels. These labels will be controlled with other JS functions so they can't be images.

Is this doable? I'm not even sure how I'd layout the containers for this.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Hello grimey, and Welcome to the GreenSock Forums!

I don't have access to your big 2300px map image.. but ..

1) Regarding your first sentence...

Here is an codepen example of using GSAP Draggable to drag an image within a div. This is much smaller version of that concept, since codepen would not let me upload a large image to test with. But it will get you started:

Example #1 (simple smaller concept):

See the Pen tFokL by jonathan (@jonathan) on CodePen

To get the div to fit with the browser window 100%, here is another example. Note that I'm making that small image fill the div which is filling the browser window:

Example #2 (fit with browser window 100%):

See the Pen bKAqn by jonathan (@jonathan) on CodePen

I commented in the CSS to see how to make the image resize with the browser. So try forking the examples, and add your big 2300px map image to test with.

2) Regarding your second sentence...

I'm kind of confused what your asking for.. Are you talking about adding markers and lables?

Also feel free to checkout the Draggable Docs

Hope this helps? :)

• Like 1

Thank you! Love the example. That's really the jumpstart I needed.

For the labels, I'll be placing dots on the map with the names of locations. Users will click on them to open more info. Also, the label text will change based on user preferences, so they'll be very dynamic.

My thought was to add the map as the background image of the draggable div and add absolute positioned divs for the labels inside.

I don't have all the images and content yet, just trying to get a headstart on this project. I'm sure they'll arrive hours before it all needs to be online. :)

Thank you again!

Is there a way to make this work by dragging on a div instead of an img? I need to drag more than just an image, unfortunately.

EDIT: Okay, again, coding without caffeine. I've got it now.

Thank you!