Search Community

does greensock handle this automatically?

erikb test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Thanks Rodrigo -- It is nice to see an animated version of the demo.  But what I am trying to solve is preventing the orange spans from overlapping when transformed. Instead I want to have the orange spans of text to animate to the same position as where the words are when the whole paragraph scales up.  Does greensock have code which helps compute those transformations?

The spans which will be enlarged might not all be next to each other... and the text in a given paragraph's text might be animating to different positions, or changing mid animation.  Keeping granularity at the span level is preferred.

Mhhh, you could check if the Split Text tool can do that, all you'll need is knowing the words index position in the split array or just split that specific part of the text.

Other possibility would be get the offset of each element and add to it the scale amount in order to prevent overlapping, thus scale and translate the spans. The only issue is that you have to consider the previous span size for the next span's translation.

Rodrigo.

• Like 1

From what I'm gathering of what you want to achieve, I think you are going to have your work cut out for you. Looks like you are going to have to scale and translate each element to avoid any overlaps, probably going to be quite complicated when dealing with lines wrapping. 

Certainly SplitText will save you the trouble of splitting the text and wrapping each word in div tags.

I almost think you'd have better luck doing something where you create NEW DOM elements for each word and place them all in containing div. Lay the containing div over the original paragraph and position each word that needs to scale so that it lines up with and covers the originals... then scale the container that contains all these new words. This way they will all scale up from the same origin and you don't need to worry about scaling and translating each one.

The good news is that you can split the entire paragraph using SplitText and get the top/left values for each word that you need to duplicate and place in the container.

Still a bit of work, but maybe a touch easier.

• Like 1

Yeah, if you use SplitText and set it to use position:"absolute", that'll slice everything up into absolutely-positioned <div> elements, and then you could reparent them (basically what Carl suggested) so that, for example, you could take all those orange ones and put them into their own (new) parent <div> and animate its scale. Since they're absolutely positioned, they'll stay in position as long as the parent is positioned in the same spot as their old parent which should be pretty easy (at least in theory - I haven't tested any of this). Again, one of the biggest challenges is slicing things up and calculating the absolute position for things, and SplitText can do all of that for you, so it should save you a lot of headaches. 

• Like 1