Search Community

After using tween, not able to change css value

jpignati test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

The problem I am seeing is after I do this:

TweenMax.to('#contentsCase.'+sectionArray[currentSection], 1, {autoAlpha:0, left:-1210, onComplete:byeBye, onCompleteScope:currentSection})

I can't change the value of left with jQuery in the onComplete function.

In the function byeBye, I am trying to set the css value of left back to either 'auto' or 'inherit' but it's not changing anything.

Neither of these work, but I can change any other value no problem.

$('#contentsCase.'+sectionArray[currentSection]).css( 'left', 'inherit' );
$('#contentsCase.'+sectionArray[currentSection]).css( 'left', 'auto' );
My other question is if I can tween to an 'auto' or 'inherit' value?

Hi and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

Certainly, there are two ways.

First, you could use a set() method in the complete callback. A set() tween acts exactly as a zero duration tween and are great to set specific properties, for example on DOM ready or in callbacks, like you need now. Like this:

TweenMax.to('#contentsCase.'+sectionArray[currentSection], 1, {autoAlpha:0, left:-1210, onComplete:byeBye, onCompleteScope:currentSection})

function currentSection()
{
  TweenLite.set($('#contentsCase.'+sectionArray[currentSection]), {left:"auto"});
}

Another possibility using the set instance is passing the tween as a parameter for the callback and in the callback use the target, it saves some code:

TweenMax.to('#contentsCase.'+sectionArray[currentSection], 1, {autoAlpha:0, left:-1210, onComplete:byeBye, onCompleteScope:currentSection, onCompleteParams:["{self}"]})

// this calls for the specific tween being passed as a parameter
// and therefore the specific element being tweened
function currentSection(tween)
{
  TweenLite.set(tween.target, {left:"auto"});
}

Second, you can use clearProps to eliminate any trace of changes made to that property or every property, for that specific element. Like this:

weenMax.to('#contentsCase.'+sectionArray[currentSection], 1, {autoAlpha:0, left:-1210, onComplete:byeBye, onCompleteScope:currentSection})

// this removes only the left value added by GSAP
{
  TweenLite.set($('#contentsCase.'+sectionArray[currentSection]), {clearProps:"left"});
}

// this removes all the properties affected by GSAP
{
  TweenLite.set($('#contentsCase.'+sectionArray[currentSection]), {clearProps:"all"});
}

Also is always good to see the real code working. Please take a look at this post in order to learn how to create a reduced sample in codepen:

http://forums.greensock.com/topic/9002-read-this-first-how-to-create-a-codepen-demo/

Rodrigo.

• Like 1

Thanks for your quick response. Here is a simple demo of what I am trying to do:

See the Pen uybdB by jpignati (@jpignati) on CodePen

at the end the green div should have a right:auto value but it does not. I can set the left to auto no problem. I am fairly new to .js so maybe I am missing something.

UPDATE:

Hey guys, looking at it simplified made me realize that I was not waiting for the correct tween to end before I tried to set the values. So the second tween was overriding the set values.