Search Community

Question about licence

Register test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi,

If I developed animation for a client containing plugin accessible only by Green club licence  (50$/year)

Did i need to renew the licence if the client continue to use the animation for several years?

For the business licence, it's attached to the number of developer, if a client charge for a service which a part use animation that I developed with GreenSock library, I have to continue to pay for him to use his animations?

Regards,

Good questions. 

The key difference between a "Business Green" membership and the individual memberships like "Green" and "Shockingly Green" is that you get a commercial license that permits the reselling of the same app/game/site/template/product to multiple customers. The membership must be active to cover the sale of those products, not the development. 

So in your example, if your client hires you to build something but they don't resell it to multiple customers, that does NOT require the special license. If you need a members-only plugin, you can just get one of the individual memberships. When that membership expires, you don't need to suddenly pull the plugin from where it was being used - you just can't get updates to the members-only plugins anymore after the individual membership is expired. 

However, if you need the special license that comes with "Business Green" memberships, that license covers the sale of products that use GreenSock tools to multiple customers, so you'd need to keep it active as long as your product/game/app/site is collecting fees

You don't need to include your client as a "developer" when you're figuring out which level to get (single developer, 5 developer, or 20 developer) unless they are actually doing some development (editing your product in some way). 

In summary, no, you do not need to renew to continue using the members-only plugins unless it's in a product/site/game/app that requires the special commercial ("Business Green") license.

Does that clear things up? 

Hi,

In my case the client would sale a service which broadcast animation based on Greensock, so we need a special commercial licence.

If we take it and, for example, stopped to be in relation with them and they continue to use the animations as is. Will they need a commercial licence of their own?

Should they take directly the licence, to use the animation on an undetermined period of time.

In my opinion, the cleanest thing would be to have them get their own license that they keep active, yes.

Your license covers all of your Work Products (as long as they're unedited by your client) as long as your membership is active. So in theory, yes, you could get the license yourself, and even if the client sells things for 5 years and you no longer work for them, it's fine - you'd just need to keep your membership active. Like I said, though, it seems a bit "cleaner" to have them get their own. Either way is fine with us though. 

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Hey @Kotet and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

We recommend that you check our licensing page as it goes into more detail. But no, if you aren't using any Club GreenSock features such as MorphSVGPlugin, InertiaPlugin, etc. and you aren't selling the product that uses GSAP to multiple end clients then you do not need the commercial license that comes with Business Green. 

Feel free to contact us and give us more details about your particular case and we'd be happy to help.

• Like 1