Search Community

Myth Busting: CSS Animations vs. JavaScript

dneckles test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Jack!

I just saw this, http://css-tricks.com/myth-busting-css-animations-vs-javascript/

Very smart move on your part writing this. As a fan of Chris Coyiers world, I had been wondering a long when your world and his would collide. Seriously, I'd say to myself, if he only knew the powers of GSAP, he'd discuss it along with his other wordpress and css tutorials.

Well done,

Dwayne

Be prepared for a lot of challenges to your myth busting.. it would be awesome PR for you to knock all of the naysayers down

• Like 3

Yes its a Great Article alwayzambitious!

If people would just Test, test, test... for themselves, like Jack advised in the article. They would see the wonderful benefit that GSAP provides, especially when doing complex animations or even simple ones for that matter.

I love CSS Animations & Keyframes, but  they are not practical for a ever changing workflow. Having to rewrite CSS keyframe animations over and over again,  just because you need to change the timing has become very frustrating and time consuming!

Not to mention that the CSS transform function and properties are not that good when trying to do multiple transforms like Jack discussed in his article. And if the browser doesn't support that CSS transform property within the CSS transform function it will ignore the whole transform function. Like Charlie Brown... Uggghhh ... GSAP handles those complex multiple transforms with no problem.. and cross browser!

I agree alwayzambitious .. knock all the naysayers down :)

Great Job Jack!

• Like 1

Hey Dwayne,

Thanks for posting here. 

Yeah, it was a great opportunity to get on css-tricks.com.

One of the things we hear often and in the comments of that article, is "How come I don't hear more about this GSAP thing?"

It's definitely frustrating as so many folks are thrilled with GSAP but so many still don't even know it exists. The css-tricks article will certainly go a long way to opening up peoples' eyes.

Chris Coyier is well respected guy, (and its well-earned for sure) and very down to earth. Hopefully other folks in his circles will take notice.

• 1 year later...

Did you read the entire section?

For more complex animations (including particle animations), consider using GreenSock’s JavaScript animation libraries (GSAP). GreenSock simplifies the more cumbersome aspects of CSS animation, such as adjusting the timing of multiple animations and independently animating transform properties.

And no, GSAP doesn't use setInterval. It uses requestAnimationFrame.

• Like 1

FriendlyGirafe,

DoubleClick and Google are mammoth organizations with a diverse range of opinions on these matters.

In addition to the quote that Blake highlighted, DC is putting its money where its mouth is, so to speak, by officially hosting and supporting GSAP

https://support.google.com/richmedia/answer/6307288

In order for that to happen DC had to do tons of research and testing and a large part has to do with the fact that so many developers were relying on GSAP for bullet-proof animation in ads. We couldn't be any happier with the support and cooperation we have received from DoubleClick. They have been a tremendous ally.

• Like 4