Search Community

Draggable triggered via element

Joe Hakooz test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a way to move a draggable by clicking another element?

I've created a horizontal slider similar to the jQuery Mobile Slider.

There are several "snaps" along the way. I would like to move the draggable to one of these "snaps" by clicking a button. 

The problem with simply tweening the draggable...

When dragging, the draggable stays within the bounds (specifically when dragged all the way to the right). I suspect it is auto calculating a negative margin. However when I tween the draggable to the far right, it goes out of the bounds. 

I could implement my own negative margin calculation but was hoping there was a built in way to do this. 

Thanks for any help!

Hi,

What you could do is tween a JS object value on UI event, click in this case, and use that tween's onUpdate to pass the value to a Draggable instance simulating a UI slider.

This are two samples made with Draggable that update a tween's progress and vice versa:

See the Pen Batoc by rhernando (@rhernando) on CodePen

See the Pen npBoF by rhernando (@rhernando) on CodePen

Another cool sample is the one crafted by Jamie in this post:

http://forums.greensock.com/topic/8779-use-draggable-for-scrollingthrow-props-but-not-actually-dragging-something/?view=findpost&p=34852

What you could do is that, instead constantly update the value you could update a paused tween by a fix amount, what in JQuery's UI slider is called a step.

Also it'll very helpful if you could create a reduced sample in jsfiddle or codepen to take a better look.

Rodrigo.