Search Community

Tween to the location of another element on the page

code_wild test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Is there anyway to reliably tween a div to the location of another element on the page?

I have a div off screen with an Arrow image and some text that is going to server as a 'tutorial/help item' for the user of the website. When they click the help button, I want the div to come in from offscreen and point at the particular element that it has help information for.

I can tween from offscreen that is not the issue, the issue is reliably tweening to the location of the other element. I have tried using jQuery's .position() and .offset() methods to locate the element, which works somewhat but when I tween to it, it lines up the top left of the offscreen div with the top left of the element and they overlap. Is there something I can do with the origin to correct this? 

Here is a pen of the current behavior i am achieving. 

See the Pen AhnlL by anon (@anon) on CodePen

(click anywhere to activate the tween) One note, for demo sake, I used absolute positioning on the input element I am trying to tween to. On my site that wont be the case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.