Search Community

Timeline - starting tweens at specific, independent times

Stephen test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello -

As always, thanks for the amazing tool.  I'm using TimelineLite to 'synch' some JS animations to an HTML5 video.  I can keep the two together by using the video's time change event to timeline.seek the identical time.

This works great!  Unfortunately, it's getting pretty complicated building all of my animations on a system where each subsequent tween is based on the previous one tween.  For instance, I was just sent a new version of my video and needed to move a tween in the beginning 'back' by 1.25s.  Then I had to go add 1.25 seconds to the following tween's delay to push it forward again.  Normally this is a great feature for animation, but not in my use case.

Is there anyway to use TimelineLite by setting hard time codes for tweens to start?  Like, Timeline.to(element, animationTime, { animationOptions }, startAt: 50) and this tween would always start at 50s into the timeline regardless of other tweens?  I understand this isn't the normal application for Timeline but I figured it can't hurt to ask.

Thank you so much for any help!

No, Don't use insert() it has been deprecated (but still works)

The position parameter can be used to add tweens at relative or absolute locations in a timeline.

absolute

tl.to(something, 3, {vars}, 5) // starts at absolute time of 5 seconds

relative

t.to(something, 3, {vars}, "+=5") // 5 seconds after end of timeline

Many of the TimelineLite/Max methods use the position parameter. Detailed explanation in the docs for to(): http://api.greensock.com/js/com/greensock/TimelineLite.html#to()

Also, please watch the sequencing video: http://www.greensock.com/sequence-video/