Search Community

Multiple selectors with a single delay on first tween

kursus test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi and thanks for your very nice work, discovering GSAP was a relief.

Sorry if this seems trivial but I've searched everywhere with no luck :

I have a single time line with multiple selectors. They share the same teens, except I'd like to have a single delay on the first tween only.

My goal is to simulate a train a several wagons. The first wagon starts, then 0.5s later the second wagon start, then 0.5s later, the third wagon starts, etc.

Here is where I am so far :

var delay = 0.5;
for (var step in tlTrain) {
    tl.appendMultiple(TweenMax.allTo([wagon0, wagon1, wagon2, wagon3],
    tlSpeed, {
    x: tlX,
    y: tlY
    }, delay));
    delay = 0;
}

It works at first but after the first teen, all the wagons stop and gather before resarting all together.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edit : I have discovered a semi-workaround : put a negative delay number, and reverse the selectors order. But but there is a pause at the end of the loop, and aniamtion becomes sometimes laggy.

Hi and welcome to the Greensock forums.

I'm not very sure if this fits somehow to what you need:

See the Pen ineuB by rhernando (@rhernando) on CodePen

Please feel free to fork it and adapt it to your scenario and let us know if you need anything else.

Also the appendMultiple method has been deprecated in favour of the add method, which works in the exact way:

tl.add(TweenMax.to([wagon0, wagon1, wagon2, wagon3],
    tlSpeed, {
    y: tlY
    }, delay));
    delay = 0;
}

As well for this cases JS conditional operator comes in handy to set the delay between tweens:

delay = 0.5
for(var i = 0; i < value; i++)
{
  delay = i == 0 ? 0 : delay;
}

This works as follows: if the value of i is equal to 0 (i == 0) the value of delay will be 0, if the value of i is not 0 the value of delay will be the one assigned previously (0.5).

Best,

Rodrigo.

Hi Rodrigo,

And thank you very much for your answer.

My problem is still present on your codepen. I'd like the animation to be smooth when the delays have loaded. On the pen, the first wagon (for example) starts and stops 5 times, 1 time for each wagon, but I'd like it to tween smoothly after the first delay. Same for every wagon, so that you feel the train just starts and move away.  For now it feels that the train starts and stop 5 times.

That is precisely what I can't come up with.

Don't hesistate to tell me if it's unclear, I'll make a pen.

Thanks a lot

Thanks Rodrigo for this demo !

However I'm still afraid it doesn't fit, or at least I didn't manage to adapt your technique.

Here is a fiddle of the whole stuff :

http://jsfiddle.net/LBDAB/5/

The animation is supposed to loop without that ugly stop on each turn (top left corner).

As you can see the loop is based on the number of coordinates points, when your demo loops on the number of targets. I have to do it that way because of the massive number of coordinates I have to inject. I don't know if this has an impact on how GSAP handle the animation ? Also I can't use Bezier because I need callbacks and css properties every step.

Also after the first loop there are some minor glitches visible (on the real project which is  more complex), always at the same coordinates (they shifts if I shift coordinates, so it doesn't seems to be my code). 

If you have any advice that would be very kind.

Thanks a lot

@Karl thanks this is great, nice technique. But this kind of loop starts glitching from the second lap, same problem I mention above, I don't know why. But I was lucky enough to have a opacity:0 step inmy animation so I can quietly clear the timeline at each loop.

@Rodrigo thank you that is neat, I will keep this for next time. If I have time I will port my anim to your technique and see if glitches are still here.

Thanks for awesome support.

Hi,

Perhaps using force3D:true might help with the glitch:

var tlParam = tlTrain[step];
    tlX = tlParam[0];
    tlY = tlParam[1];
    tl.add("insertion" + insertion, insertion);
    tl.add(TweenMax.allTo(wagons,
    1, {
    y: tlY,