Search Community

Timeline mixed usage of .to and .fromTo possible?

mrsam test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hey all,

I'm currently playing with the timeline and setting up a sequence of animations.

So far i've used tl.to in my sequencing and all went good. I then wanted to implement .fromTo however that seemed to mess up my timeline.

My objective is fairly simple, summarized in the following steps.

1. I do some initial CSS tweening

2. I fade up some text

3. I tween my div to the outer right

4. I change up some text

5. ISSUE: I now want to re-position my div to the outer left and tween it into center again.

Ive set up an illustrative codepen example here:

See the Pen IeLrF by mrsgs (@mrsgs) on CodePen

Note: uncomment line 15 to see the issue apply

Thanks so much for providing the codepen example along with your clear description.

The issue is that from() and fromTo() tweens have their immediateRender property set to true by default. 

To fix the issue just set immediateRender:false in the troublesome tween like so:

.fromTo("#html5-entry-timeline", 1.5, {left:-800}, {left:100, immediateRender:false});

fixed: http://codepen.io/GreenSock/pen/ChqvA

The short story of why immediateRender is set to true for from() and fromTo() tweens by default can be witnessed here: http://codepen.io/GreenSock/pen/Amnrc

In your case your fromTo() tween at the end had immediateRender set to true so the left position was set immediately, thus messing with your animation.

For the most part, immediateRender's default value of true only really becomes an issue if you are doing multiple from() tweens on the same properties of the same object.

• Like 3

Hi Carl - never got back to you on this one.

Thanks for contributing with your throughout description of the "issue", it makes sence to me and your "fix" got my timeline going as intended now - i'd probably never figured that out if you hadn't come a long :)

Again thanks - you're doing some overwhelming quick support here!

A good weekend to you sir!

• Like 1