Search Community

TweenLite.from cuts off some width. Where does the value come from?

Quodlibett test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Learning Greensock by doing I have hit the following: If the following code is run in Firefox/Chrome the final width is (in my case 16px) less than 100% after pressing the button. Can someone point me in the right direction to understand this, please?

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
    <!--CDN links -->
  <script src="http://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/gsap/latest/TweenMax.min.js"></script>
    <script src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.10.2/jquery.min.js"></script>
    <script src="prefixfree.min.js"></script>
</head>

<body>
<div class="one" style="padding: 0px; margin:0px; background-color:yellow;">
<div class="itsstatic" id="target" style="padding: 0px; margin:0px; background-color:lightgray;"></div>
</div>
<div class="itsstatic" id="target_II" style="padding: 0px; margin:0px; background-color:lightgray;">The width goes from 100% to something less. where does the something less come from?</div>
<div id="updateOutput"></div>
<div id="showProgress" style="background-color:lightgray;"></div>
<button type="button" id="lessWidth">Less width</button>

<script>
var updateCount = 0, lessWidth = document.getElementById("lessWidth"), showProgress = document.getElementById("showProgress"), target = document.getElementById("target"), updateOutput = document.getElementById("updateOutput"), change = target.offsetWidth;

showProgress.innerHTML = "Start width " + target.offsetWidth;

lessWidth.onclick = function() {
    target.innerHTML = "new width " + target.offsetWidth;
    TweenLite.from("#target", 5, {backgroundColor:"#ff0000", width:"100%", onUpdate:updateHandler });
    }
//When the button is pressed the width ends up at 100%, so the problem's elsewhere
function updateHandler() {
    target.innerHTML = "New width " + target.offsetWidth;
    }

</script>
</body>
</html>

Hi and welcome to the Greensock forums.

Never had or saw this issue before, but after asking google I've found that the cause is not defining a width for the target element and since responsive design is a must do this days, almost everyone works with a defined width for every element, reason why no one ran into this before or never has been reported in the forums, that I know.

In your code if you set the element's width to 100% works perfectly, unless you can't define a width for the element, which would be an odd scenario. Another solution is to set the body margin to 0, if you check the problem the width is decreased by 16 pixels and the native margin of the body tag is 8 pixels in any direction, so 8 pixels to the left plus 8 pixels to the right equals 16 pixels less in your element.

Set the body margin to 0:

body
{
  margin:0;
}

Set a width for the element:

<div class="itsstatic" id="target" style="padding: 0px; margin:0px; background-color:lightgray;width:100%;"></div>

Best,

Rodrigo.

• Like 4