Search Community

Best way to manually set "y" position on a draggable object with a trigger?

martis test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hey guys,

Been loving the new draggable, had a hopefully simple question.

What is the best way to manually set the "y" position on a draggable object with a trigger?

I am basically wanting to hyperlink within my draggable object (jump to a position).

Do I move my trigger or the actual draggable target itself? Thanks!

Code below:

Draggable.create('#proxy', {
	type:"y", 
	bounds:$('#proxyContainer'),
	trigger:$('#site'),
	force3D:true,
	zIndexBoost:false,
	edgeResistance:.8, 
	throwProps:true,

onDrag:function () {
		processMobileTimeline(this.y); 
	}, 

onThrowUpdate:function() {
	},

});

If I understand your question correctly, you'd move the target itself, not the trigger. Like TweenLite.set("#proxy", {y:100});

You're not trying to do that during the drag, though, are you? That probably wouldn't work because when you start dragging, it must record the beginning values and then on each move, it offsets from those values. 

Thanks,

I update the y position manually, try to call update() on the draggable instance to sync it, then Draggable is firing off onThrowUpdates after the click event happens, but the y position I set is not syncing with the y position on the draggable instance.

I am trying to call update() but am not having luck...

TweenMax.set($proxy, {css:{y:yPos}});

var draggable = Draggable.get("#proxy");

draggable.update();

console.log('update: ' + $proxy.position().top); // reports the correctly updated y position

onThrowUpdate:function() {
console.log(this.y); // does not report the update, remains at 0 if i haven't scrolled the page
},

I think there's a misunderstanding at play here - the Draggable's "y" property refers to its translateY transform for type:"y" or type:"x,y", and it refers to the "top" css property for type:"top" or type:"left,top". jQuery's position().top, however, refers to the current coordinates of the element, relative to the offset parent. That's a very different measurement. 

I changed my code and got the update() to work, but when I start to drag again it is not honoring the newly updated "y" position, defaults back to 0, as if it never moved...

yPos = 1000;

TweenMax.set($proxy, {css:{y:yPos}});

var draggable = Draggable.get("#proxy");

console.log('draggable before update: ' + draggable.y); // returns 0

draggable.update();

console.log('draggable after update: ' + draggable.y); // returns 1000

onDrag:function () {
	console.log('drag: ' + this.y); // defaults at starting at 0, even after update
},