Search Community

Vector Tweening using GS/JS?

pixeldroid test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi all:

On occasion I use Flash to create some fairly elaborate apps for client presentations.  I intend to move to JScript at some point, but I'm concerned that I still can't do everything I can do in flash.

One of my big questions is: can we animate vector shapes using JScript or some other HTML 5 compliant tool?

Also, is there an app that can be used to lay out graphics that plays nice with GS?

Thanks much.

It's true that HTML5/JS can't do everything Flash can do, but the gap is closing quickly, and there are some things you can do in HTML5/JS that you can't do in Flash so one isn't necessarily "better" than the other across the board - it all depends on your project. 

SVG is the HTML5 way of doing vectors (for the most part), and you can also do some similar stuff with canvas but it's not generally as easy as just drawing something in Flash the way you're used to. I believe Adobe Illustrator can export as SVG. To animate along a path, you can use GSAP's BezierPlugin but you need to feed in the data appropriately - you can't just draw something in a GUI (yet). The tools are evolving and maturing. 

As far as an app that plays nice with GS, most do actually because GSAP is just JavaScript and we've been approached by several companies that have built GUIs and they want to tap into GSAP under the hood, so we'll see what happens. No promises yet. If you have a particular company/GUI in mind that you'd like to export to GSAP or something, I'd encourage you to contact them and submit a request. 

Exciting times.