Search Community

Help me understand: seamless loop of clouds

taapo test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi there,

First post, but I have been exploring GSAP for a couple of days now.

I just ran in the first roadblock - for which I don't have a solution. It's not really a code problem, but more of a "how would I approach this"-problem.

Take a look at this:

http://haraldurthorleifsson.com/googledrive/

This div has moving clouds. I would like to recreate this with TweenLineMax (for the repeat factor), but I'm not sure how to do this:

• Start with an empty div
  • Set starting position of each cloud with css, or with GSAP?
  • Animate the clouds as a group (using overlap function) ... or each cloud as a timeline seperately? (how is this done?)
  • When one of the clouds reaches the end of the div, reset the position to zero and start over.
  • Additionally, I'd like have each cloud end and start with opacity 0, and have a fade in/out. I could solve this with a overlapping div with css gradient, but was wondering how you can do this within gsap?

I have no clue as how to do this in the most efficient way. Could one of you give me a headstart on how *you* would approach this problem? Many thanks!

Greets,

Frank

Hi and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

Here is a basic example of infinitely repeating clouds:

http://codepen.io/GreenSock/pen/drCFD

Each cloud is dynamically generated, positioned and placed in a TimelineMax that repeats.

For extra flavor I place each cloud's timeline inside another timeline so that all the clouds can be paused, reversed or played very easily. 

Since I am animating the clouds left property to 100% you will also note that you can resize the browser window and the animation continues to work fine. 

I commented each line of code. Let us know if you need more help or explanation.

• Like 6

• 2 years later...

Hi Carl,

I'm new to GSAP and love it so far.  

I've forked the clouds sample you created. 

See the Pen PPwVjr by atkinson (@atkinson) on CodePen

I'd like them to move slowly, with varying opacity, in a staggered fashion. 

My questions are:

1. Is there a trick to prevent the clouds from bunching up, sometimes they come in as a cluster.
  2. And how can I vary opacity?

Thanks so much!

Janet

• 1 year later...

Hi piyushwalia  :)

If you're forking Diaco's pen, you just need to add one property to the last part of the tween and the clouds will move diagonally. Pleases try this:

{left:"100%", top:"100%", ease:Power0.easeNone, delay:Math.random()*15, repeat:-1});

Just an FYI - 'x' and 'y' will be better than 'left' and 'top', but this should get you started.

Happy tweening.

:)