Search Community

Animating x with percentage

electrichead test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I think there is a bug where animating the CSS with this:

{ x: '-100%' }

leads to this (I am in Chrome):

{ -webkit-transform: translate3d(-100px, 0px, 1px); }

However, if I set the CSS manually to "-100%" it works beautifully. Is this a bug or is there something I need to do differently?

Yep, percentage-based translations aren't supported. To do it accurately, it'd likely be very costly performance-wise since every update would require analyzing the element's size and then convert % into px for the matrix. Remember, it's technically possible for the element's size to change during the tween - hence the need to keep running the analysis on each update (typically 60 times per second). Plus it'd cost extra kb. Since it's extremely uncommon for folks to use %-based transforms and because they can use top/left with percentages, plus the performance and file size concerns, this doesn't seem like a good capability to add to GSAP. As bassta said, you can get the behavior by doing the conversion yourself or use an onUpdate or by building your own plugin.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hi reduxdj,

I don't have time to do a full modal demo, but I think our recent update that allows you to do percent-based translation tweens through xPercent / yPercent will really help.

Here is the 1.13.1 release article that has an interactive demo showing exactly the steps to center elements of any size: http://www.greensock.com/gsap-1-13-1/

I think that will give you exactly what you need. If you need more help let us know.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Is there any way to disable matrix transformation in the engine?

Percentage is a must-have in adaptive design (adaptive banners in my case).

Yes, I can change x/y with left/top properties, but when I need to tween rotation or scale

and I already have some transforms assigned to my div through css,

that transforms become overridden with the tween matrix.

Hello danissimo

GSAP can do percentage x and y transforms by using the properties xPercent and yPercent for responsive animations.

Please see the following article and codepen examples:

Percentage-based transforms using xPercent and yPercent:

https://greensock.com/gsap-1-13-1

Codepen example of interactive responsive use of xPercent and yPercent:

See the Pen axzmb by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

See the Pen rAetx by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

xPercent and yPercent are part of the CSSPlugin:

https://greensock.com/docs/#/HTML5/GSAP/Plugins/CSSPlugin/

Happy Tweening!

• Like 4