Search Community

GSAP in non-browser application

madbutter test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I have worked for years with an interactive audio/video development environment called Max/MSP/Jitter made by Cycling '74. It is a visual development environment where you "patch" objects together using virtual patch cords to create processing chains. The built-in objects are written in C and you can write your own, and a lot of developers also use Java as well, to write new objects or use a large library of existing objects that run in the JVM.

Javascript has also been possible for several versions of Max, and the new version uses Mozilla's Jaegermonkey Javascript 1.6 engine behind the scenes to interpret the text contents of a javascript object you can make in your patch. Also in the latest version is support for a graphics engine call Mgraphics, although I can find no reference to it outside of Max. Mgraphics raises the possibility of doing sprite animation inside of Max, which is great at real-time video manipulation.

I've worked in Max and Flash alternately for years, one for realtime video effects and the other for sprite animation. I was hoping that GSAP would let me use my Flash skills to do complex sprite animation in Max.

The first problem seems to be that the code is specifically meant to be rendered in a browser, and is laden with browser/DOM calls like references to window and document objects. Has anyone done anything with GSAP as a pure JS library that would work outside the browser?

Thanks, bob

I wouldn't say that it's "laden" with browser/DOM specific calls and references, but there are a few out of necessity. However, the core engine (TweenLite) should be pretty simple to use outside the browser. You could literally just set a variable named "window" to an empty/generic object, like:

var window = {};

And then load TweenLite.min.js. 

Have you tried that?