Search Community

TimelineLite animations not working on iOS 5

vsiege test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I actually started this topic in another thread but decided it needed a more appropriate title and separate thread.

It seems as though the animations are not working or displaying properly under iOS 5.X and Safari desktop 5.X.

I'm currently using the latest GSAP files (from CDN).

I've tried using this but to no avail: 

TweenLite.ticker.useRAF(false);

I have no idea what to try next. You can see how I'm stringing together the timelines in Matchups.js build(). I can rip them out and put them in the post if that helps. Please let me know. Most of the view is blank under iOS 5.X and Safari desktop 5.X.

Reference URL: http://capone-dev.to....com/#/matchups

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Sounds really frustrating.

I just tested a few pages on my iOS 5 device - ones that had lots of TimelineLite stuff on GreenSock.com - and they worked great. I'm pretty confident there's not a problem with GSAP specifically in iOS 5 or Safari 5. I wonder if there's something else in your particular site that's causing the problem. It looks like you're using a LOT of other scripts, any of which may be the source of the problem. Unfortunately we can't offer free consulting services for general troubleshooting on rich pages like that, but if you can isolate the problem in a codepen or jsfiddle in a way that demonstrates GSAP is indeed the culprit, we'd be glad to take a peek. 

And by the way, recent versions of GSAP automatically switches to using setTimeout() instead of requestAnimationFrame in browsers that don't support the latter. You shouldn't have to specifically call TweenLite.ticker.useRAF(false), although it certainly won't hurt if you do that. 

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for your help. I had to remove a lot of the animations for iOS 5 and not assign any z-index numbers. I hope this helps someone else out there. Also, at the end of some of the timelines, I added a function to re-tween the invisible elements to opacity 1. 

It should be noted this was also happening on Safari 5.x for desktop.