Search Community

Greensock animation workflow and visual editors?

Friebel test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

First of all, I loooove Greensock! It really fits my needs in animation, so what I'm looking for rightnow is a visual editor to setup my scenes and make my workflow quicker.

For this I'm comparing Adobe Edge Animate v2 and Sencha Animator v1.5.

Sencha is a lot cheaper (100 dollar one time spent) over EA (wich is 33 dollar a month!!, although I need Photoshop and Illustrator too and maybe AfterFX... full CCpackage for 83 dollar a month). 

Use of greensock is possible in both packages and it seems like apart from the output the packages are more or less the same in possibilities. The output is different though: AE has a lot of too-much-output I'd say, but seems to be more javascript based, what I like because of compatibility).

I will use it professionaly, so I take a look first before I dive into the deep with a package.

So for this I wonder; has any of you guys a perfect workflow in creating animations for the web in HTML5 together with GreensockJS (read: by using a visual editor)? Or do you all create your animations inside an IDE only?

Hi,

Currently we aren't aware of any professional timeline-based IDE that exports GSAP animations. We are seeing a good deal of interest from our users in an IDE, but unfortunately we aren't in a position to create one ourselves at this point. We feel strongly that any company that pursues creating an IDE that exports GSAP animations will have a real hit. 

Edge Animate is the clear choice for a lot of users. Chris Gannon is one user that does a lot of work in Edge Animate with GSAP. Read through his blog here: http://chrisgannon.wordpress.com/

His workflow uses EA as strictly a layout tool and then he scripts the animation with GSAP.

• Like 1

If you'd like some existing IDEs to add GSAP export capability, we'd encourage you to tell them. Submit a feature request. The more they hear from customers with a similar request, the more likely it'll happen. 

We've been contacted by several companies exploring a possibility like this (a GUI for GSAP), so it very well may happen at some point. Can't say who or when, though. 

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just seeing this thread now.. from asking a similiar question recently, it looks like folks get over the hump of css and use it to position and setup their layouts... Hope you figured out a way thats works for yourself.  I didnt realize Chris Gannon used Adobe Edge Animate for layout purposes only and coded with greensock. Besides brushing up on my css, im going to learn more about adobe edge...

• 2 years later...