Search Community

Custom function in TimelineMax + KineticJS

Suresh test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I'm using GSAP's TimelineMax with Kinetic JS. I got them to work together, but I'm having trouble when I try to pass my own custom functions to the timeline. I've included a jsbin to show the issue.

http://jsbin.com/afixoc/4/edit

The first part of the animation uses a standard Kinetic JS command and this plays fine.

tl.to(rect, 1, {setX:300});

The second part of the animation uses a custom function that I am adding to 'rect' and this is failing.

tl.to(rect, 1, {customSetX:100});

I tried to track this by publishing the value to the console and the issue is very strange - the value that's being passed to my function seems to be NaN. Now, the console.log gets printed a number of times, so I can tell that it's being called every frame. However, I can't figure out what's going on with the parameter. When I print (typeof val) it says number, but when I print the actual val, it says NaN. (You can click 'Play Anim' and open the console in JSBin to see this)

Can anyone help me understand why this is happening? (BTW, the reason I'm trying to add my own functions is because I need custom rotate and scaling code for my objects to transform around a pivot point rather than Kinetic's offset.)

Also for the record, you can use a single function as both a getter AND setter and it'll work fine with GSAP. When no value is passed to the method, it acts as a getter, otherwise it acts as a setter. jQuery uses this pattern quite a bit. For example:

rect.customSetX = function (val) {
  if (!arguments.length) {
    return this.getX(); //make sure this is a getter too! I'm not sure how you're keeping track of the custom value, but return it here. 
  }
  this.setX(val); 
};

Or you can use Jamie's suggestion and break things into 2 functions, starting with "get" and "set".

• Like 2

Wait.. there was a plugin all along?! :D I mean.. uh.. yeah, I knew there was a plugin. I just wanted to do it the hard way. For some man points. Anyway, now that I've earned my man points, I'll use the plugin. Thanks :D

Jack, thanks for clarifying that. I think between all the answers in this post, I now understand the behavior better.

• Like 1