Search Community

Is the "postion relative" attribute necessary in greensockJS?

WW test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I'm not sure what you are animating, but in CSS, position:relative (or fixed or absolute) is required for position styles ( top/left/bottom/right ) to have any effect. You can read more about position here.

Maybe if you could explain what kind of animation you are creating, and why you don't want to, or can't use position:relative, we might have a better chance of solving your problem.

• Like 1

I use the TweenMax plugin to Tween a DIV, 

and it must use position:relative in CSS or the DIV won't tween.

so, i just wanna finding the answer of the layout of a website might broken or not after add the position:relative attribute ?

PS:
I'm a rookie frome AS3 to html.

Sorry for the weird Question ^^"..

It's hard to say whether changing the position properties of elements will break a layout or not, as it would depend on how the site is already positioned. It should be ok, but you are best off applying the positioning and seeing for yourself.

'Breaking' the layout would depend on something like changing the first positioned ancestor of an element that is already positioned, or positioning an element past the edge of a parent element with overflow:hidden. Also, positioned elements with a z-index create a new stacking context, so maybe watch out for that as well.

For the record, if you're trying to move an element around and you don't need it to affect other elements in the document flow, you can simply tween "x" and "y" instead of "top" and "left" because "x" and "y" affect the transform property which has no effect on document flow. Think of those as projecting the pixels to a different spot, but the element technically stays where it was originally in the document flow. That way, you don't need to make sure the position property is "relative" or "absolute". Be warned, however, that transforms can be a bit slow in IE8 (not that it's a huge concern since so few people use that browser, but I figured I'd point it out anyway). 

• Like 1