Search Community

Business License

sonicworks test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi,

I've used GSAP it since tweenlite came out for flash and had various memberships over the years. I have just started a project that I would like to use GSAP JS for. The end product will be a mainly (not totally) subscription based education game. I'm a contractor and not an employee of the end company. 

If I bought the business never ending license would the end company be able to use it forever without worry about the license.

or

Would I need to get them to buy the license so they can use it. This means as a contractor I'd have to buy it for each project if the end product was a subscription model.

Hope that makes sense.

Tim

Thanks for asking about this, sonicworks. And, more importantly, thanks for being a member over the years. We simply couldn't do what we do without support from folks like you. 

As for the licensing, the special license that comes with your "Business Green" Club GreenSock membership covers all of YOUR work while the membership is active, so yes, you'd be covered in the scenario you described but if your customer wants to customize what you did for them after you turn it over to them, it's no longer just your Work Product - they'd need to get their own membership. This avoids situations where a huge company tries to circumvent the intent of the license by just hiring a freelancer and saying "buy a membership, spend a few hours on this project and then turn it over to us" and then the big company gets to piggy-back on the single developer's license unfairly. 

So you actually have 2 options:

1. If your customer doesn't need to be able to mess with your stuff and customize it on their own, you can just get your own membership and that's it. Obviously the permanent membership would be ideal so that nobody has to worry about expirations. 
  2. Just buy a membership on behalf of your customer and build it into the cost of your project to them. The membership typically pays for itself in a matter of days or weeks anyway when you factor in the added productivity, improved performance, capabilities, fewer compatibility problems/troubleshooting, etc. See http://www.greensock.com/business-case/ for more details. Don't forget to get the appropriate number of developers covered. 

Does that clarify things? Please don't hesitate to ask if you've got any other questions. And thanks again for your support over the years.