Search Community

Problem with IE8

jlubeck test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi, I'm using TweenMax in my site, and it's working great in Chrome and Firefox, but not in IE8.

I'm using the following code to initialize some elements to alpha 0:

TweenLite.to('#notifications_dropdown',0, {autoAlpha:0});
TweenLite.to('#black',0, {autoAlpha:0});
TweenLite.to('#modal',0, {autoAlpha:0});

But on IE8 they are still being shown. And there are no errors in the console.

The code is being ran inside a $( document ).ready( function() and the version of jquery is 1.9.1

Any ideas?

Here is the site in case you want to look at the full code:

https://testing.fyrastudio.com/lab/tweetrace_wip/indexFlash.html

Thanks!

The autoAlpha feature seems to be working great in IE8 in general according to my tests, but in your particular page I wonder if the problem has to do with the fact that you've got a blurb of unexecuted php code at the very top of your document which likely confuses IE8 when it's parsing the doc because it's expecting to see a DOCTYPE or HTML tag. 

Does it work when you remove that? Have you tried isolating things into a simpler page that just has an autoAlpha call? Oh, and by the way, you can simplify your code slightly with a set() call instead of to() because set() is just a zero-duration tween. 

//old
TweenLite.to(element, 0, {autoAlpha:0});

//new
TweenLite.set(element, {autoAlpha:0});

Have you tried isolating the issue in a more simple page? I wonder if one of the other libraries you're loading is causing some sort of issue. In situations like this, I always recommend stripping away all the non-essentials and getting something very basic working. If autoAlpha doesn't work in that scenario, it points to an issue with GSAP (but again, according to all my tests and what others have verified, autoAlpha is working fine in IE8). If it does work, then you slowly introduce more complexity until it breaks and then you can isolate what's causing the problem. 

Aha! You were right. I removed a lot of things, and autoAlha that is working... Haven't pinpointed the problem yet, but at least it's not your fault :D

Do you want me to come back with where was the problem?

• Like 1

Wow.... so stupid of me... I had another script that had this line:

if (!createjs.Sound.initializeDefaultPlugins()) { return; }

IE8 fails to initializeDefaultPlugins so it returns, hence, nothing below that gets executed... GENIOUS :P

Thanks for your help!

• Like 2