Search Community

Trouble with require.js r.js and TweenMax

vanillabass test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello all,

I've retrofit a project to use require.js. When I optimize using r.js and rhino, I get a min file with no errors. However when I load the app using the .min file, I get an error saying "cannot call the method 'to' of undefined". The method 'to' belongs to TweenMax. When I load the app using the non-optimized code, it works no problem.

Here is the log from the terminal when running r.js:

Tracing dependencies for: ../js/main
Cannot optimize network URL, skipping: http://a.vimeocdn.com/js/froogaloop2.min.js
Uglifying file: /Users/---/prototype/js/main.min.js

Users/---/prototype/js/main.min.js

Users/---/prototype/js/libs/requirejs/require.js
Users/---/prototype/js/libs/jquery/jquery-1.7.1.min.js
Users/---/prototype/js/libs/underscore/underscore-amd.js
Users/---/prototype/js/libs/backbone/backbone-amd.js
Users/---/prototype/js/libs/greensock/uncompressed/TweenMax.js
Users/---/prototype/js/libs/greensock/uncompressed/plugins/CSSPlugin.js
Users/---/prototype/js/akinsparker/views/APVideoView.js
Users/---/prototype/js/text.js
text!templates/ProfileElement.html
Users/---/prototype/js/akinsparker/views/ProfileElementView.js
text!templates/CollagePiece.html
Users/---/prototype/js/akinsparker/views/CollagePieceView.js
text!templates/ProjectPiece.html
Users/---/prototype/js/akinsparker/views/ProjectPieceView.js
Users/---/prototype/js/akinsparker/APHelper.js
Users/---/prototype/js/akinsparker/router/Workspace.js
Users/---/prototype/js/libs/isotope/jquery.isotope.js
Users/---/prototype/js/akinsparker/views/ProjectView.js
Users/---/prototype/js/libs/imagesloaded/jquery.imagesloaded.js
Users/---/prototype/js/akinsparker/views/APMainView.js
Users/---/prototype/js/libs/mCustomScrollbar/uncompressed/jquery.mCustomScrollbar.js
Users/---/prototype/js/libs/mCustomScrollbar/uncompressed/jquery.mousewheel.js
Users/---/prototype/js/akinsparker/models/CollageElement.js
Users/---/prototype/js/akinsparker/collections/APCollageCollection.js
Users/---/prototype/js/akinsparker/models/ProfileElement.js
Users/---/prototype/js/akinsparker/collections/APTeamCollection.js
Users/---/prototype/js/app.js
Users/---/prototype/js/../js/main.js

Here is a link to all the code including the build folder which houses my build settings.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oyepi7n1kwqrzmr/QS94f_UtfR

At this point this is beyond my level of understanding so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hmm, that sounds more like a RequireJS-specific question. In my experience, RequireJS can be very finicky and based on the error you're getting, it seems like it's not defining TweenMax correctly internally (which, again, isn't a GSAP problem as much as a RequireJS issue). Have you tried asking the RequireJS folks? 

On a related note - is there a guide somewhere on using GSAP with Require or other module loaders? I could only find a few random forum posts but given the number of globals it creates I'm keen to get it properly shimmed/set up.

If you're worried about the globals, you can easily have GSAP tuck all its globals into a single object of your choosing by defining a "GreenSockGlobals" object at the window level. This (along with RequireJS) is discussed here:

http://forums.greensock.com/topic/7145-using-with-requirejs/?view=findpost&p=26684

And I'd also recommend this thread:

http://forums.greensock.com/topic/7213-using-timelinelite-and-tweenlite-with-requirejs/

There's a link there to James Burke's response: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/requirejs/viPGj6-SdQY

Frankly, I think RequireJS has some severe limitations that make it awkward to use with a lot of libraries, but hopefully they'll address that in future versions. 

I'm curious: what's your concern about the globals thing? Are you just philosophically opposed to global variables? 

Not particularly, I'm fairly pragmatic about these things but when it's a significant number I do get a little concerned at the possibility of losing an hour trying to debug a really weird error caused by an accidental name collision. For example I actually already had something called RoughEase inside one scope.

After more research I found that adding it as a shim worked and compiled correctly in r.js

"libs/greensock/uncompressed/TweenMax" : 
 {deps: ["jquery"],
  exports :"TweenMax"
 },

Although TweenMax doesn't have a dependency on jquery I don't see the harm in doing this as a 'quick fix'.  Additionally, I removed the window.GreensockAMDPath and haven't noticed any issues.

Anyone have any thoughts on why this works?

• 4 months later...

FYI for anyone else having issues with Require and GSAP files, I just ran into an issue with Draggable even though I had defined it as a shim.  If you simply add TweenMax as a dependency for Draggable it will fix the issue and Draggable will load through Require as expected.  Hope that helps someone down the line :)

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Thank you! Exactly the advice I needed!

FYI for anyone else having issues with Require and GSAP files, I just ran into an issue with Draggable even though I had defined it as a shim.  If you simply add TweenMax as a dependency for Draggable it will fix the issue and Draggable will load through Require as expected.  Hope that helps someone down the line :)