Search Community

TweenLite.set(target, {z:0.1}) override scale

vincent test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi,

I want to force the use of gpu composing

My target is something like this

<ellipse cx="50" cy="50" rx="50" ry="50" fill="#9c9e9f" style="-webkit-transform: scale(0.2, 0.2);"></ellipse>

So I force the z property

TweenLite.set(tween.target, {z:0.1});

And the result is not really expected

<ellipse cx="50" cy="50" rx="50" ry="50" fill="#9c9e9f" style="-webkit-transform: translate3d(0px, 0px, 0.1px);"></ellipse>

The scale is removed. Any better way to doing this? Or maybe it's a bug?

Thanks

Could be a bug, or something TweenLite can't do, Have you tried being explicit with the scale in your set and/or using TweenMax?

eg.

TweenLite.set(tween.target, { css: { scaleX:.2, scaleY:.2, z:.1 } } );
  • Like 1

This isn't a bug in GSAP - it's a bug in the browser and it only seems to relate to SVG elements. For example, try this:

HTML: 

<svg>
	<ellipse id="circle" cx="50" cy="50" rx="50" ry="50" fill="#9c9e9f" style="left:50px; -webkit-transform: scale(0.2, 0.2);"></ellipse>
</svg>

JavaScript:

var ellipse = document.getElementById("ellipse"),
console.log( document.defaultView.getComputedStyle(ellipse, null).getPropertyValue("-webkit-transform") );

You'll see that it logs "none" instead of the matrix. Basically, the browser is incorrectly reporting that there are no transforms applied even though there are. So there's no way (that I know of) to correctly grab the current values in this particular case. The browser is supposed to return either a matrix() or a matrix3d(), and CSSPlugin's internal parsing algorithm depends on that.

And again, this only seems to happen with SVG elements. I wish I had an easy answer, but there are some browser bugs that are virtually impossible to work around. :( If anyone has a good idea, let me know. And it's not enough to check the style itself because not only will that probably not be a matrix (which means more code would be necessary for accurate parsing), but also it would only work when the style is applied inline rather than via a class or something. 

Rob's suggestion should work. I know it's a bit of a pain, but I think it's your best bet. Or just apply the styles directly via TweenLite.set() initially instead of using regular css. 

• Like 1

Or just apply the styles directly via TweenLite.set() initially instead of using regular css. 

Ok I'll try that, thank you.

Another question, can we have a real tweenlite property for forcing the gpu on an element ?

Because, once enabled (with z tricks), I can't disabling them with z = 0.

Because matrix to matrix3d works but not the reverse.

Sounds possible ?

Thank you for your great work, Jack. I made ​​the transition from AS3 to Javascript with you :-)

• 1 month later...

Jack,

The force3D var forces GPU to kick in only in the particular animation being called or it becomes a permanent set for all the animations in the app, like the default perspective of the CSSPlugin?, by all the animations I mean the ones already created and the ones yet to be.

Cheers,

Rodrigo.

And just to clarify, when you set force3D:true, it's object-specific and it does get remembered by the engine so you don't need to keep setting force3D:true on every tween. Think of it like a toggle switch. You could turn it off again later if you want, using force3D:false. But once you use it on a particular target, you're good-to-go. 

• Like 1