Search Community

Declaring object variable shows errors?

JoeWillmott test
Moderator Tag

I have a bunch of TweenLite stuff working wonderfully by adding the AS3 code on the timeline. Now I am trying to add a MovieClip dynamically with: 

var blackfadeMC:blackFade = new blackFade();

addChild(blackFadeMC);

Inside the blackFade.as class I have some TweenLite stuff going on that works fine if I just drag and drop the MovieClip to the stage, but when I add it dynamically with the code above, I get these errors:

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
at blackFade/fadeOut()[/users/joe/Documents/Work/Kim's Castle/blackFade.as:20]
at com.greensock.core::TweenCore/complete()[/users/joe/Documents/Work/Kim's Castle/com/greensock/core/TweenCore.as:178]
at com.greensock::TweenLite/renderTime()[/users/joe/Documents/Work/Kim's Castle/com/greensock/TweenLite.as:477]
at com.greensock.core::SimpleTimeline/renderTime()[/users/joe/Documents/Work/Kim's Castle/com/greensock/core/SimpleTimeline.as:93]
at com.greensock::TweenLite$/updateAll()[/users/joe/Documents/Work/Kim's Castle/com/greensock/TweenLite.as:642]

I have noticed it's the first line, where I declare the object variable, that is causing the problems. If I comment my two lines of code out then there's no errors, but if I just uncomment that line beginning with "var" then it spazzes out again.

New to TweenLite so if it's something obvious I do apologise! Thanks for the help :)

Hi and welcome to the GreenSock forums. Seems to be just a simple capitalization error in the code you posted:

var blackfadeMC:blackFade = new blackFade();
addChild(blackFadeMC);

Don't worry about it. It happens 100 times to everyone.

Happy Tweening