Search Community

event doesn't raise if timeline has 0 duration

kittichai test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

When timeline's duration is 0, it won't raise any event (onComplete, onStart, onUpdate, etc.)

In ActionScript version, I used to fix this problem by adding a temp TweenMax with duration 0.001 and the even will work just fine. However, in JS version, it still doesn't fix the problem

fixZeroTimeline = function(timeline) {
    if (timeline.totalDuration() <= 0) {
      var tempTween = TweenMax.to(dummyObject, 0.001, {paused:true});
      tempTween.paused = false;
    }
  };

After calling this function, timeline still doesn't raise event.

A timeline with no tweens whatsoever does indeed just end and make itself eligible for gc. In order to complete, it seemed logical that it'd need to actually contain something, even if it's a zero-duration tween. 

It doesn't look like you're actually adding anything to your timeline - you're just creating a tween at the root level without ever adding it to your timeline. You could do this:

//add a callback at the zero spot. This won't affect the timeline's duration at all. 
timeline.call(yourFunction); 

//OR you could certainly add a tween if you prefer:
timeline.to(dummyObject, 0, {});
  • Like 1

My mistake, I post incomplete code. My code did add the tween into timeline.

I found a scenario where this problem will occur. If TimelineA is insert into TimelineB, and TimelineA has duration 0 while TimelineB's duration is not 0. TimelineB will has problem raising event as well.

So, to fix this problem, I must add dummy TweenMax to every timeline nested inside.