Search Community

How big a bitmap can blitmask handle?

Big Bad Roo test
Moderator Tag

Gidday

I'm using blitmask to display a sprite that holds text based items from a search.

I have a pagination button at the bottom which retrieves the data from the server (50 items per search), appends them to the sprite inside blitmask, and then I blitmask.update();

The process works fine layout-wise.

However, scrolling response degrades the more text I load in, and after 3-4 pagination searches is unusable.

I thought the problem may have been that I had a new display object for each item, with each object containing a dynamic text field and a couple of buttons.

So I tested just having one giant text field that gets the search returns appended to it each search, and no buttons.

Same thing happens - after the first search, the scrolling degrades until unusable after 3-4 searches.

I thought maybe my appending process was screwing with something, so I set my server to send 200 items per search to test how things work without using pagination.

Straight away, the scrolling is very sluggish and unusable.

So I'm wondering...

a. is this typical when the resulting bitmap in the blitmask is very long?

b. what's a general height size for bitmaps (in phones) to keep blitmask happy?

c. how do other apps such as blogs do this using blitmask? Do they limit how many blog entries pagination can show ie is there a better way to achieve what I want?

Thanks for your time and help.

OK - after playing around, I realised it was my positioning of blitMask.update(null, true);
 that was causing most of the problem. I had it in the mouseDownHandler to automatically capture any button changes within the scroll display. I guess because the bitmap is large, it was taking a while to capture it before scrolling. Turns out the scrolling is smooth ven with a big bitmap, but...

Slowly getting the hang of ThrowProps - thanks for your time, help and patience.

The size of the bitmap is going to vary by device. We haven't done any benchmarks on multiple devices to see where things "blow up". Ultimately it comes down to the performance of the device and how many other things AIR has to handle. Lots of variables at play.