Search Community

Animation freezes iPhone

robbue test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Anyone experienced this bug before? Screen freezes (0:10 in video), and nothing happens before I drag (nothing happens on touch) the screen

And it only happens when I click on a link on the website to go to the page. If I refresh it works, every time. It also works (every time) if I go to the same page as I'm viewing. I dont know if its GSAP that is the cause, but it only happens on pages where I use TweenMax. Testet on iPhone 4S (iOS 6.1.2) and iOS simulator.

Edit: Upgrading from 1.9.3 to 1.9.5 seems to fix it.

Glad to hear 1.9.5 fixes things. Yeah, that actually has to do with a bug in iOS, not GSAP. We just figured out a more bullet-proof way to work around it in 1.9.5, that's all. I'm pretty shocked that Apple didn't catch such an obvious problem. FYI, it has to do with iOS Safari ceasing to dispatch requestAnimationFrame events the first time you load a particular page (it actually fires off a couple, and then suddenly stops in that scenario). We fall back to a setTimeout() to drive the ticker in that case. All of this is transparent to you, of course - GSAP just handles it under the hood. 

Happy tweening.

• Like 1